K-Tec

Dreads reports

More
16 years 3 months ago #58700 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Dreads reports

Regarding the report, I am just experimenting with using this as my log. We'll see how it goes.

Well, it's working. I would even say that you can add more details to your log. Still, the report was a nice read.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58738 by cjbigboy
Replied by cjbigboy on topic Re: Dreads reports

T

One thing i've read about Saturn is no matter what you view it through for the first time it always has the WOW factor.

Hi Paul

I've seen it several times now and Sat night (5th Jan) was the best. I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat. It will be tiny in your eyepiece, so don't expect anything too large, but it is unmistakable and if the seeing is really good you might see some of the moons too as little points of light. One good thing about the rings being edge on is that you can see more moons.

Has your scope got a motorised RA axis? as I find this an absolute godsend for viewing saturn, otherwise it goes out of the eyepiece so quickly.

cheers

CJ

Skywatcher Explorer 130pm, 650mm f/5

More
16 years 3 months ago #58802 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Dreads reports
Hi CJ I dont think it can be any smaller then Mars but i'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. I dont have a motor on my RA.......just good old man power. I can align the polar axis pretty well so hopefully not to much drifing out of view.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #59481 by Dread
Replied by Dread on topic Re: Dreads reports

Date/Time: 2008/01/11 2300 - 2008/01/11 2345

Equipment:
Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50s.

Conditions
Calm, clear. Transparency/seeing: 3/2

Only a brief trip out tonight with binoculars. I tried to pick out M101 in Ursa Major again but failed. I have a better picture of the stars in the area so I should have a better shot at it with the telescope next time.

Could just about make out the orientation of the rings on Saturn when steadied against the wall of the house.

I saw M33 (Triangulum Galaxy) as a smudge but I could make out the orientation. I didn't know this in advance so I was able to confirm it later. It was quite easy to find in the end as it is diametrically opposite M31 when centred on Mirach (Beta Pegasus) with each being one FOV to the star.

I picked out Comet Holmes in the binoculars. It's now very diffuse filling half the FOV of the binoculars. It's in the same FOV as Algol.

I briefly looked at the nearby Pleiades just because it is so spectacular in the binoculars.

Comments
I must try screen off an area from nearby lighting. It's nigh on impossible to become dark adapted.

Down with vwls.

Declan
Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50, Bresser Messier R102

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds