• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #58640 by pj30something
If it ain't cloudy it's raining. was created by pj30something
And if it ain't raining it's windy.

Lovely clear night tonight here in south Dub but it's mighty blustery.The wind cuts right through you.

Hopefully it will die down later like it did last night. Spotted Holmes a few mins ago when i came home from shopping..........well either it was Holmes or Mirach............

Which is brighter to the naked eye?

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #58701 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: If it ain't cloudy it's raining.
Hard to answer definitively. Holmes and Mirfak are, first of all, 2 seperate objects altogether. So my guess is that you saw Holmes alright - it's the faint object covering about the size of a fingernail of sky. It seems faint, but would actually be about the same brightness as the fainter stars making up Ursa Major (the extension os the Plough) - that's Mag +3 to +4. It's just not a concise point of light like them.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #58710 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: If it ain't cloudy it's raining.
I know i was looking in the right area. I didnt see anything that would cover a thumbnail though (but everyones eye sight is different). I saw a very bright "point of light" which i assumed was Holmes. Maybe i'm completely wrong.

Naked eye..............there was nothing up there that remotely resembled a comet in my eyes. I know Holmes does not have a tail (as such) but surely it looks slightly different naked eye to the surrounding stars.

It really is frustrating the bejaysus of of me finding it. Last night i saw a star with a slight fuzzy green glow around it (naked eye) which i assumed to be Holmes.......................but i cant be sure.

What i assumed to be Holmes last night (and tonihgt) would indeed be as bright as the stars in Ursa Major.

Paul C

More
16 years 4 months ago #58732 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: If it ain't cloudy it's raining.
PJ, I was looking at Holmes on friday night myself - and it is very dim. More of a smudge in the sky. its very dim now and i could see it only because of my 15x70 binos - which have good light grasp. but it may put on a second display (waatch that space)

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #58748 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: If it ain't cloudy it's raining.
I'll be glued to that part of space any given chance.

Paul C

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds