K-Tec

Clearest sky in weeks tonight

More
16 years 4 months ago #59551 by Jovian79
Replied by Jovian79 on topic Re: Clearest sky in weeks tonight
Last night up around Cavan was very clear , though it was also very cold, and i said "ill leave it for tonight - its a friday, ive been working all week and im too tired. ill leave it until saturday night". Stuck a movie on instead.

Big mistake - its been heavy showers since about 3 o clock this afternoon. :cry: . thatll teach me to take advantage of clear nights when they come.

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #59566 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Clearest sky in weeks tonight
The clouds look stunning with my new EP's.

Ah well..................3 good nights this week...thats our monthly quota filled.

See you all back here next month.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 months ago #59694 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Clearest sky in weeks tonight
Hi pj and all. Like yourself a learner, and was out on friday night. A great night indeed. clear skys in Laois. M42 was of course spectacular. in my little 70mm skylux. and the stars of the trapezium were visible just about - with my 20mm with the Barlow X2 Pliedies beautiful with just the 20mm. Andromeda is better in my 15 x 70 binos than under any magnification of the telescope. Mars is just a small dot in the skylux and the view is not helped by the Barlow (poor quality)
would have liked to have looked at double cluser in persius - but to high for the skylux at that hour of the night.

a great night anyway

• Euronymous
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #60113 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re: Clearest sky in weeks tonight
I had an interesting observing session yesterday. I was observing from 15,000 feet in the air, with completely clear skies, all the clouds below me. Just had my 10x50's. Excellent view of the clusters around Hercules, and M42 was great. Mars was extremely bright even with a fairly bright moon getting bigger as the days go on. Unfortunately Ryanair landed too early for me to look any more :x

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

More
16 years 4 months ago #60122 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Clearest sky in weeks tonight

I had an interesting observing session yesterday. I was observing from 15,000 feet in the air, with completely clear skies, all the clouds below me. Just had my 10x50's. Excellent view of the clusters around Hercules, and M42 was great. Mars was extremely bright even with a fairly bright moon getting bigger as the days go on. Unfortunately Ryanair landed too early for me to look any more :x

It is amazing what you can see from an aircraft (especially if the windows have been cleaned :wink:) I remember seeing Orion in all its glory over India en route to Singapore-I will never forget it.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
16 years 4 months ago #60225 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Clearest sky in weeks tonight
On route to Lanzarote i saw a lightning storm raging over the Atlantic. I was at cruising height (33,000 ft) and it was perfectly clear skies (for me) with the lightning below. It was pretty amazing.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds