Holmes,M42 and Saturn.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59107 by pj30something
Holmes,M42 and Saturn. was created by pj30something
I just bagged Holmes (WOOHOO). I couldnt see it naked eye but in my bins it is unmistakable. With the bins it was a very faint difuse glow but it was there none the less. No nucleus to speak of.

Also got more nice views of M42. I'm still amazed how well it looks in the bins. Just a couple of bright stars surrounded by a nice glow (but you KNOW its a Neb). If i had a mount for the bins i would be much better off.

Then a bit later (12:45am) i decided to try and find Saturn (i've never scoped it before tonight) using my 90mm scope with a 20mm EP. I didnt have to look very far. It was sitting right up there in the east. That sucker moves FAST. As soon as i had it in my finderscope and went to the EP to look..............It was gone again. So i aligned my scope some more and tried again.

*Parents please dont let your kids read the next line*

When it came into view the 1st words out of my mouth were "Holy sh*t,f**k me WOW" (can you tell i was excited?). It was a tiny disk of greenish/yellow with a line through the middle. I couldnt get the 20mm EP out of the scope fast enough. I put in a 10mm EP and refocused (i now know focusing is an art form).

Well i was just blown away (and not by the wind). It was still a greenish/yellow disk with a more distinct line through it and twice the size as before. I also saw what i believe to be one of it's moons (just a point of light really) but pretty close to Saturn. No cassini division really but i think i may just have squinted and caught a split seconds glimpse (but i'm not counting on it).

I have read in places that nearly everyone when they see Saturn for the 1st time is uuberly impressed. I think by my very vocal reaction that i am now one of those people.

I'm buzzing here. I dont think i'll sleep much thinking about it.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #59112 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
well done PJ, you are a brave man to go out last night. that dedication for yaa.. I know what you mean by your reaction to seeing saturn in the telescope. I have often tried to explain to people that all the photos in mags and on the telly can't prepare you for the first time you see it for yourself. in fact when you do try to explain it, ya mostly just get that homer simpson look....so...and...etc etc

I have some 15x70 binos myself and yes it's worth getting a tripod or or parrallogram mount for them

(it was freezing last night ya must be mad)

More
16 years 3 months ago #59117 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
Hey paul,

well mate done! i seen saturn last saturday night for the first time an i was the same im still thinking about it.....ya know there you are standing looking into a tube seeing another world thats 149,600,000km/h from where your standing its hard to take in.........i would of loved a picture of what i saw

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

More
16 years 3 months ago #59119 by Swanner
Replied by Swanner on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
Know where you're coming from. I only saw it last week for the first time aswell and was completley blown away. Been dying to get a chance to get back out and see it again. Wasn't brave enough last night though :)

More
16 years 3 months ago #59142 by cjbigboy
Replied by cjbigboy on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
Well done Paul!

I think you have summed up the reaction to seeing Saturn for the 1st time perfectly. WOW seems to be the general concensus of opinion and for me it hasn't left me yet even though I've seen it a good handful of times it is very exciting each time and leaves me buzzing too.

Do you have Stellarium? The other night when I saw Saturn and several moons I went on Stellarium the next morning and took it back the time that I was viewing and was able to see which moons I had seen as I'd made a rough sketch. It's nice to be able to put a name to things

Was it not really windy down in Dublin last night? Up here it was awful, quite scary in fact!

keep up the good work

CJ

Skywatcher Explorer 130pm, 650mm f/5

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59147 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
well done PJ, you are a brave man to go out last night. that dedication for yaa.. I know what you mean by your reaction to seeing saturn in the telescope. I have often tried to explain to people that all the photos in mags and on the telly can't prepare you for the first time you see it for yourself. in fact when you do try to explain it, ya mostly just get that homer simpson look....so...and...etc etc

I have some 15x70 binos myself and yes it's worth getting a tripod or or parrallogram mount for them

(it was freezing last night ya must be mad)

I have to say that personally i feel what i saw last night was better then any photo cuz it was real and i found it and it was moving (boy was it moving). It was even better then i described. It wasnt too cold around 1AM. Not too much wind either.

Hey paul,

well mate done! i seen saturn last saturday night for the first time an i was the same im still thinking about it.....ya know there you are standing looking into a tube seeing another world thats 149,600,000km/h from where your standing its hard to take in.........i would of loved a picture of what i saw

That's it exactly. You KNOW it's a different world. I was kicking myself for not getting a picture too.

Know where you're coming from. I only saw it last week for the first time aswell and was completley blown away. Been dying to get a chance to get back out and see it again. Wasn't brave enough last night though Smile

Today is looking promising for a clear night. Fingers crossed.

Well done Paul!

I think you have summed up the reaction to seeing Saturn for the 1st time perfectly. WOW seems to be the general concensus of opinion and for me it hasn't left me yet even though I've seen it a good handful of times it is very exciting each time and leaves me buzzing too.

Do you have Stellarium? The other night when I saw Saturn and several moons I went on Stellarium the next morning and took it back the time that I was viewing and was able to see which moons I had seen as I'd made a rough sketch. It's nice to be able to put a name to things

Was it not really windy down in Dublin last night? Up here it was awful, quite scary in fact!

keep up the good work

Yeah i have Stellarium and i checked it. I think it was Dione i saw. It got pretty windy later on but while i was out there was a lull in the wind and rain.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds