K-Tec

Holmes,M42 and Saturn.

More
16 years 3 months ago #59315 by Jovian79
Replied by Jovian79 on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
I seen Saturn for the first time last week and i too was amazed. I think there was even a tear in my eye, so moved i was. Its just so beautiful up there. :D

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59317 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
It really is something to see (however you see it). I have not stopped thinkinjg about it. I'm gonna go have another look later if its still clear.

Shame that the rings are gonna be closing up even more this year and wil be edge on in 2009...........

I think Franks said that it will be close to 2015 when we will see the rings again to any great degree.

I cant wait for saturn to be bum up or face down so we will be able to see a complete set of rings around it.

For now i'm just happy thay i saw an eliptic shape around it (hopefully when i get my filters they will show a colour difference between the rings and the surface) and didnt get my 1st view when the rings are edge on and invisible.

It really was stunning and the highlight of my astonomical observing since i started over 25 yrs ago.

If ever i needed an excuse to make astronomy a life long hobby and to go bigger and better (apeture).............Saturn is it.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #59320 by cjbigboy
Replied by cjbigboy on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
Been outside most of tonight as it has been clear up here in the NW.

Just been viewing Saturn, wow once again! Titan was clearly visible out in a straight line from the rings as was the rings shadow.

Have seen more objects tonight than any other night:

Earlier on I caught a glimpse of the Ring Nebula in Lyra which was a dusky circular patch of light, but definatley darker towards the centre.
Crab Nebula was just a patch of light, nothing exciting to look at, but nice to see considering what it is.
M31 - andromeda was the clearest I'd seen it and for the first time saw M110 alongside. Then it was Open clusters all the way with M35/36/37/38 all looking pretty good.

M42 was amazing, I don't know if it was my eyes or me imagining it but it kind of had a pinkish tinge, probably my brain telling me thats what I should be seeing, but it looked great and the Trapezium was really bright.

Holmes was there, but has faded so much compared to early November.

Finished the night off with a bright Meteor from the North.

Very satifying night indeed, the only downside being, my new set of eyepieces were to be here today, but they are stuck in Belfast as the driver ran out of time to deliver them, so guaranteed tomorrow it'll be cloudy when I do get them!

cheers

CJ

Skywatcher Explorer 130pm, 650mm f/5

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59322 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
I had a really good look at M42 earlier. No colour but i know its red/pink so my brain fills in the blanks. I could see the 3 outer stars (in a line) leading in towards the trapezium but i can only see the biggest of the 4 stars in the trap.

JOHNNY FIVE ALIVE...NEED MORE INPUT (apeture).

Looks great in my bins...............small but coloured.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #59341 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.

Been outside most of tonight as it has been clear up here in the NW.

Just been viewing Saturn, wow once again! Titan was clearly visible out in a straight line from the rings as was the rings shadow.

Have seen more objects tonight than any other night:

Earlier on I caught a glimpse of the Ring Nebula in Lyra which was a dusky circular patch of light, but definatley darker towards the centre.
Crab Nebula was just a patch of light, nothing exciting to look at, but nice to see considering what it is.
M31 - andromeda was the clearest I'd seen it and for the first time saw M110 alongside. Then it was Open clusters all the way with M35/36/37/38 all looking pretty good.

M42 was amazing, I don't know if it was my eyes or me imagining it but it kind of had a pinkish tinge, probably my brain telling me thats what I should be seeing, but it looked great and the Trapezium was really bright.

Holmes was there, but has faded so much compared to early November.

Finished the night off with a bright Meteor from the North.

Very satifying night indeed, the only downside being, my new set of eyepieces were to be here today, but they are stuck in Belfast as the driver ran out of time to deliver them, so guaranteed tomorrow it'll be cloudy when I do get them!

cheers

You don't happen to live in Slaghtmanus? (or however it's spelled) Cause the other night at 9.30pm I got my eyepieces delivered from a guy from Belfast, and he said he had another delivery to Slaghtmanus but couldn't be bothered, so he would just do it another day

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

More
16 years 3 months ago #59356 by cjbigboy
Replied by cjbigboy on topic Re: Holmes,M42 and Saturn.
Hi Euronymous

How weird, yes I am near Slaughtmanus, sort of back of Eglinton/Greysteel direction up in them there hills!!

Unless your delivery was last night 10th Jan, I think it might be a strange coincidence as my eyepieces only arrived in NI yesterday morning. Who was the courier? this is with Business Post. Annoying though as I had spoken to the driver by phone in the afternoon and he said he was in Limavady and en route to us, but then got called back to belfast.

Last night would have been a great opportunity to try them out, Oh well, they'll be others.

Where are you located?

cheers

CJ

Skywatcher Explorer 130pm, 650mm f/5

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds