K-Tec

Orion

More
16 years 3 months ago #60216 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: Orion
I thought i read somewhere that when the moon/sun is low down along the horizon it gets magnified due to the light passing through much more atmosphere. never paid it a second thought though. il see if i can find this info again. i guess if its true it would apply to all celestial bodies. could be absolute bolderdash also though

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #60217 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Orion
No, you're mostly right fguihen, it's called refraction though, not magnification. Stars twinkle more when near the horizon because of a greater thickness of air along the ground then when viewed higher up (the atmosphere thins out as you go upwards in height).

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #60220 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re: Orion

I thought i read somewhere that when the moon/sun is low down along the horizon it gets magnified due to the light passing through much more atmosphere. never paid it a second thought though. il see if i can find this info again. i guess if its true it would apply to all celestial bodies. could be absolute bolderdash also though

It's nothing to do with magnification, that's a common myth.
Sure you can clearly see in my illustration that it is an illusion. This illusion can be any number of illusions that scientists have come up with. Most now say it is caused by oculomotor micropsia.

As for the magnification thing, it's actually the complete opposite to what you are saying.
If the air is thicker nearer the horizon, this COMPRESSES the image of the moon, not magnifying it, making the moon looked squashed when it is right on the horizon.
As for refraction, this only lasts for a few minutes and distorts the image when at the horizon, it doesn't explain the illusion throughout the night.

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #60224 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Orion
Stars twinkle more when near the horizon because of a greater thickness of air along the ground then when viewed higher up (the atmosphere thins out as you go upwards in height).

Hense they say its better to view certain objects when they are overhead because there is thinner atmosphere therefore less air to bend the light coming from the objects.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds