K-Tec

Observing the moon

More
16 years 3 months ago #60314 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Observing the moon

including atmospheric instability.

OK i'm gonna assume thats why everything looked a lot more blurred through the barlow. Without the barlow it looked like viewing through a thin mist.LOTS of detail................just a bit misty.

well Peter, a number of things could be happening here,
1, you either have a bad barlow
2, it cannot reach focus,
3, you're pushing the magnification too high
The mistyness you are seeing could be dew on the eyepiece, the barlow itself might have fogged over, barlows do not generally cause introduce a trademark blurriness otherwise who'd ever use them ?? They're not universally popular as they intruce more optical elements to the system and cthis can lead to ghost images.

I think the 4mm one has a crack in it or something so its useless. But thats ok cuz i have a 9mm and a 6mm EP................when stacked with the barlow give me a 4.5mm and a 3mm......................so i wont miss the 4mm too much and the eye relief on the 9mm and 6mm is much better anyways.

the 4mm might have a tiny eyelash in there, it can look like a crack, try cleaning it and see what happens, what magnification does 3mm give you ???

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #60316 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Observing the moon
I'll get back to you about that Dave. As for the foreign object in the 4mm...it doesnt seem to be a eyelash or hair. I've tried cleaning it but its still there. It could be a shaving of plastic on the inside or something.Not too sure to be honest.

Eh a 3mm EP on my scope with a focal length of 1000 = magnification of 333.

or something like that,.

The nice man in the shop said he would replace the 4mm EP for me.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #60463 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Observing the moon

... But thats ok cuz i have a 9mm and a 6mm EP................when stacked with the barlow give me a 4.5mm and a 3mm......................so i wont miss the 4mm too much and the eye relief on the 9mm and 6mm is much better anyways.

Paul --

This is indeed one of the primary reasons for using a Barlow. Even if you don't mind the short eye-relief, you'll soon note that you have to clean them more often as your eye-lashes deposit oils and dead skin cells on the glass.

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds