K-Tec

Asteroid Zelinda Occultation - 10 Sept 2007

More
16 years 1 month ago #64745 by Mike
Once again Vagelis many thanks for that very useful information and excellent advise and for taking the time out to reply. A lot of really good information to learn and make the most of, I just need to get out and practice!

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #64812 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Asteroid Zelinda Occultation - 10 Sept 2007
I'm lost.

what occulted what?

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 1 month ago #64820 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Asteroid Zelinda Occultation - 10 Sept 2007
Thanks for the detailed explanation Vagelis.

More
16 years 1 month ago #64841 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Asteroid Occultations
Hi Vagelis,

About 10 seconds was nice and long, the few that I got positive results (visually) were just a couple of seconds or so.

A few years back, I was lucky enough to become the first amateur in Ireland to observe an asteroid occultation.

What do you find to be the best timing source?

Video would seem the way to go, thanks for the notes,

John

(PJ: an asteroid occultatation is when an asteroid moves in front of a star, as the star is usually brighter than the asteroid the star "disappears")

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 1 month ago #64933 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: Asteroid Zelinda Occultation - 10 Sept 2007
John,
No time to answer now, I am just leaving home, I will be back on Tuesday!
See you PJ!

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 1 month ago #65328 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: Asteroid Occultations
Hi John, and sory for the delay!
Good to hear that you have seen an occultation! Which one was it?
When I saw my first (of total 2) occultation last year, it was a visual observation, and I was told by experienced friends that I was very lucky that my first was visual and not CCD. Do you agree?

As for the timing source,

1. Best choice for visual observations it is just a radio controled clock which costs only 30-50 euros.
I have RMB899P Global Travel Clock (Oregon Scientifics) which I bought from "Clove Technology". And it is a perfectly accurate time source.
I tune it to Frankfurt atomic clock, DCF77, but you in Ireland can tune to the UK atomic clock: WSF-60.

2. An equal accuracy alternative would be a radio tuner, if there is a radio station that covers Ireland and broadcasts shortwave time signals.
Listen to this NIST Radio Station WWV sound file , which broadcasts in the USA ( tf.nist.gov/stations/wwv.html ).

3. Best choice for Video observations is a GPS Time inserter, or ...

4. ... a DCF Time Inserter (it takes time signal from DCF77, just like a radio controlled clock, eg RMB899P, but this is a video device, so it "prints" a DCF77 time stamp on video frames.

5. For Video observations, an alternative is to record the sound of the alarm of a radio controlled clock (eg RMB899P) in the audio track of the video.

In case 1, you have two options to use the Radio controlled clock:
a. To synchronise it with your stopwatch, or ...
b. ... set the alarm at the minute of the expected occultation or, better, minus 1 minute. Then you shout out loud, record your voice, and measure the start and end in respect with the alarm beeps.

I hope this is not too complicated!
Clear skies :D

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds