K-Tec

Best Night in Ages last night!!

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #65695 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Best Night in Ages last night!!

The large glatter 45 degree face barlow target that goes in the end of the drawtube is even easier to use with a truss Dob.

Thats what I do, its the only way to go with a truss, mine's from kendrick, not glatter.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Calibos
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 4 weeks ago #65703 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Best Night in Ages last night!!
Ahh, :) When you said, you must check it out I thought maybe you were a diehard Cheshire, Autocollimator and/or CatsEye user and weren't familar with the premium lasers like the Kendrick, Farpoint and Glatter.

Did you see Kendrick have come out with a switchable Barlow Target. Just press a lever or switch (cant remember which) and the barlow lense is moved in and out of the lightpath for Secondary and then Primary barlow collimation. No more inserting and removing the whole target. It can be purchased as an upgrade for existing Kendricks afaik.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #65773 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Best Night in Ages last night!!
Just catching your reports now Keith. Very long, with lots of detail - and a great read as well. Nice to read about newbies exploits in to the hobby like yours.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #65776 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Best Night in Ages last night!!
I knew Virgo would be well placed for me last night, due south at the time I would be observing. Its a pity transparancy wasn't great with moisture in the air meaning skyglow extended up to about 40-50 degrees.

Why is it when there is a lot of moisture in the air that transparancy seems to be worse then usual?

I know i mentioned the pollution "skyglow" one night reached about 60 degrees upwards and Keith told me it was all to do with the level of moisture in the air.

I guess water droplets act as magnifying glasses and magnify the light pollution at street level?

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #65824 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Best Night in Ages last night!!
Paul --

It's not so much that they act like magnifying glasses, but just that they scatter the light around. So some of the light pollution that was headed off into space ends up coming back to your eyes/equipment.

Some of it is also due to extinction (where the light from the target hits the water droplet and gets knocked off course). But this effect is more relevant when at a dark site -- at a light polluted site the scattered light pollution will be a much bigger factor.

Dust will also reduce transparency, but I think in that case the scatter and extinction are more evenly matched.

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds