K-Tec

Solar prom sketch 7/6/2008

More
15 years 10 months ago #69161 by jeyjey
Solar prom sketch 7/6/2008 was created by jeyjey
I tried some new materials on this one (Derwent Graphitint white pencil on 9"x12" Mi-Teintes black paper). The Graphitint is very similar to my Faber-Castel water-color pencils, but perhaps a bit less waxy (leaving the surface easier to over-draw with a pastel pencil or Conte crayon). The Mi-Teintes paper makes both pencils feel softer, but it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with the bigger scale (my other paper is A5, requiring fairly crisp lines).

This was also first-light for my new Sol Ranger finder. Beats the heck out of having to get up and look at the shadow of the front etalon on the tilt adjuster every time I lose the sun -- not only does it deliver the sun in the field with a 5.5mm effective-length eyepiece, it's also easier not to get up when the sketch pad and pencils, erasers, etc. are on my lap.

Anyway, here's the goods (two pages stitched in Photoshop):

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 10 months ago #69170 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
I see you added in a little extra to the tilting sun ball to show the position of the prom, good idea. Lovely action in your sketches, I enjoy trying out new mediums as each one brings something different to a sketch.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society

More
15 years 10 months ago #69184 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Solar prom sketch 7/6/2008
Deirdre --

Yeah, I got the tilting sun "context bubble" idea from Erika Rix. She uses it primarily in her collages which have several different prom closeups, and then puts a letter or a number in each closeup and matching bubble.

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
15 years 10 months ago #69185 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Solar prom sketch 7/6/2008
It would be nice if that "context bubble" could be incorporated into the Tilting Sun software. Would save on messing with it in PS.
BTW, excellent sketches as always. The one at 16:50 is particularly good.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds