K-Tec

Ever wish you lived in a dark dark place?

More
15 years 10 months ago #70552 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Ever wish you lived in a dark dark place?
Fair play to him, its a great capture,
They are so lucky with their weather, looking out the window here its like the middle of winter :cry:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 10 months ago #70553 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
ciclops.org/index.php?js=1

Keith why don't you send you Saturn image to the Cassini Imaging Team
details on the link above.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society

More
15 years 10 months ago #70556 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Ever wish you lived in a dark dark place?
Hey, I was only joking! :D

I'm sure there were guys who got much better images that night. I only saw them when I pushed the wavelets too far. What useful science could come out of my image? Its mush!! :D

If I was to send them, I'd be posting a DVD with the raw frames to Dave Lilis to process first with dual credit on the resulting image :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
15 years 10 months ago #70567 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Ever wish you lived in a dark dark place?
Hi Keith,
From what I can see there are 2 faint white dots on your image, the australian guy has only 1, can you put up a normally processed image so we can see what it naturally looks like.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #70572 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
"Amateur astronomers have kept track of the storm over its five-month lifetime. "Since Cassini's camera cannot track the storm every day, the amateur data are invaluable," says Fischer. "I am in continuous contact with astronomers from around the world, the key players being Marc Delcroix and other observers from the French Astronomical Society, Ralf Vandebergh from the Netherlands, Christopher Go from the Philippines and Trevor Barry from Australia.”

Quote from here

ciclops.org/view.php?id=4963

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society

More
15 years 10 months ago #70574 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Ever wish you lived in a dark dark place?
So its to do with tracking the position of the storm/s.??

So Lat and Long of where I took the images in combination with the local time tells them where to slot the image into their storm tracking timeline??

Would there be a timestamp in the video files I have? I can see from the properties of the file 'Created on' and 'modified'. Would they be accurate or would they correlate to the last time I cut and pasted the file or something like that.

Being a newbie, I didn't really think my captures were that much out of the ordinary. For all I knew/know, storms were a mundane regular occurance on Saturn. When I first noticed them in the image I googled saturn double storm and found a good few images and posts and this seemed to confirm to me that this was a mundane and regular thing. And all the images I found of storms were a hell of a lot better than my captures which were taken over the roof of my house and my second ever night of imaging....anything. Still all at sea with regard to registax. Really haven't a clue what I am doing with it. Thats why I was saying I should probably send the files to Dave or someone who might be able to pull more out of my mediocre captures.

Dave, I don't think my captures and Aussie Trevor Barrys captures were even from the same month so I wonder does the fact that there is one spot in his and two in mine hold any significance at all? As to whether they are merely processing artifacts, could be all right, but I seem to recall at the time seeing images from the same night on cloudy nights form a guy in rome with a much better capture with 2 spots in the same position. Will have to do a search over on CN to confirm.

I completely understand the significance of the report on the BBC site about Trevor, EX miner/Astonomy Graduate in the outback one of a key group of excellent imagers maybe blessed with good skies spread around the globe giving full coverage approached by Nasa to be regular contributors etc

but just the thought that one mediocre image in the Nasa Saturn Storm photo archives among thousands taken by the key players like trevor could be from little old me is amazing.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds