Jupiter

More
15 years 9 months ago #71743 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:Jupiter
It's fab to see some action like this!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #71809 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re:Jupiter
Further to my dispair over my 5 minute Jupiter window between tree branches.....

I've done a few calculations in daylight. ie set my scope on the Equatorial platform in its usual viewing position. Set the altitude of the scope for about 12 or 13 degrees which is the height Jupiter is at in the gap. Turned on my scope mounted 20mw GLP (dot easily visible in daylight). Moved the platform through its track to trace a line with the laser dot. This is the line where I will trim to...well 6-12inches below actually to take into account a few months of growth. Turns out I wouldn't have to trim a hell of a lot.

About to go in and ask the neighbour whether I can trim the tip off a tall bush and the tips of a few branches off a tree. Would widen my viewing window from 5 minutes to about an hour.

Wish me Luck!! :woohoo:

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
15 years 9 months ago #71831 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re:Jupiter
Further to my "Further to" post.

Got the permission, climbed 20ft to top of tree with a saw in one hand and a secataurs (sp?) int' t'other. Snip Snip and saw saw and 3 heavy duty jumbo sacks later, bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt........1 hour viewing window created :D

And guess what?! The weather gods decided to give me a break. Was looking at the metoffice sat image at around 12:30am and I thought I could barely make out a tiny little gap in the clouds/haze. Checked outside and there was a big clear patch overhead and to the south with cloud all around! At this hour, Jupiter was already 2 thirds of the way through my new bigger viewing window between the trees but that still gave me about 20minutes so it was well worth my well quickly getting the scope out of the shed.

Seeing wasn't great needless to say but......I saw the GRS!!! and 2 Main equatorial bands. As others have said the GRS is more of a light notch out of the darker band....but I say it. In my upside down reverse reflector view it was in the top eq band just left of centre rotating round to the left, so I guess in compass directions that would be in the south EQ band rotating to the west of the planet. Also saw all 4 galilean moons to the west of Jupiter (left of the planet in my reflector view.

Boy oh boy was dew a problem though. EP's kept fogging within seconds. Packed up at about 1:30am.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
15 years 9 months ago #71840 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re:Jupiter
I don't think I've got much observing done at all since about Easter! This weather is terrible. Was looking forward since Christmas to seeing Jupiter, I better get a sight of it soon before it gets too low again

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds