Fireball

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 months ago #8800 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Fireball
Folks - here is a SNP screenshot with the fireball trajectory plotted.

I was imaging saturn at the time and was adjusting focus. I'd stepped away from the 'scope for a minute and was looking south when I saw a fireball. Inititally, there was a bright white streak which just kept getting bigger and brighter. It turned green and I heard the sound of 'fizzing'. It was way brighter than even a full moon and the ISS. I couldn't put a mag limit on it. I thought for a second that it might be an aeroplane coming down.

The event lasted about 4 to 5 seconds. I've never seen anything like it before.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 months ago #8801 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Fireball
Folks - here is more information:

Viewing location:
Celbridge, Kildare (53.333, -6.55, elev 55m)

Time:
Between 21:59:20 and 21:59:50 (PC clock time-server synchronised, so PC time is accurate to less than a second)

Michael - how does one triangulate?

Dave

More
19 years 2 months ago #8836 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Fireball
Dave,

It would be difficult to do any accurate calculations as in the part of the sky that we saw the fireball, there were very few stars visible to use to get an accurate position, (over a floodlit Hotel). Other club members that were observing from the north of Kerry also saw it and may have more accurate positioning details.
However given that you saw it traveling east to west and we saw it going west to east it must have had a fairly verticle entry to the athmosphere.

Michael Scully KAC

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds