K-Tec

Zodiacal light.

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #10005 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Zodiacal light.
Did anyone else see the Zodiacal Light last night? I was on the net around 7pm when i got a amber aurora alert so i decided i must check it out.Two of us went out but didnt get out to a dark site till after 9pm, bit late for the aurora, as nothing was visible, or maybe ther was nothing at all that night, but the sky was wonderful.

Very dark and clear especially when you are out looking over the waste lands of Conemara. Mag +6 sky.But there in the west was this beautiful cone of brightness coming out from where mercury had set several hours earlier. In comparison to the milky it was slightly brighter with a possible dark greeny hue to it. But a definite Zodical light, after many years waiting to see it , finally got the chance. Had camera but wish it was a 300D, not good enough for what was on view.

Ronan Newman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10012 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Zodiacal light.
You got lucky there Michael! 5 members of TAS turned up for our own Observing Session, but it was completely clouded over save for some cracks in the cloud. We stayed till 9:45pm, but nothing...

...and the forecast gave a warning for ice on the roads last night! :x

Balls to it...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10016 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Zodiacal light.

You got lucky there Michael! 5 members of TAS turned up for our own Observing Session, but it was completely clouded over save for some cracks in the cloud. We stayed till 9:45pm, but nothing...

...and the forecast gave a warning for ice on the roads last night! :x

Balls to it...

Seanie.

Seanie,

Did you check the sky later on? After I went home, I went out for a quick look just before I went to bed....... not a bloody cloud in the sky! :evil:
Of course, this was about 12:30 and a bit late to start observing. Still, whipped out the binos and did a quick tour of the usual suspects for about 10 mins. :roll:

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10018 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Zodiacal light.

Seanie,

Did you check the sky later on? After I went home, I went out for a quick look just before I went to bed....... not a bloody cloud in the sky! :evil:
Of course, this was about 12:30 and a bit late to start observing. Still, whipped out the binos and did a quick tour of the usual suspects for about 10 mins. :roll:

I know... :roll: David rang me as he was entering Kinnegad after the session, and said he could see the clouds parting pretty fast!

Typical really...

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• mjs
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #10024 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Zodiacal light.
Kerry AC had an observing session on Sunday night. Again the Zodiacal light was visible. This time I had the 300D with me.

See www.kerryastronomyclub.com/gallery.htm in the Planets section for a picture. No enhancing other than resizing was done on the image and it reflects what was visible quite well.

Michael Scully,

Kerry Astronomy Club, Chairman.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds