K-Tec

Strange object 'burning' up last night in Wicklow

More
19 years 2 months ago #8883 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Strange object 'burning' up last night in Wicklow
Got to see 1 myself with a couple other TAS members back in '95. We had one of our Perseids Barbeques. 4 of us saw one bright fireball zoom horizontally across the tree tops (so it seemed!) and split in 2. We got a huge burst on the radio at exactly the same time for about 8 seconds too.

I t was brilliant, but not as good as Pete's here!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 2 months ago #8908 by DaveGrennan
Congrats on the fireball sighting Pete. In over 15 years observing, I've only ever see anything that bright once. Aout 8 years ago I was out watching the geminid meteor shower on the hill of tara. Suddenly a fireball about as bright as the full moon shot across the sky. It broke into three pieces. It was so bright it cast shadows that people who had their backs to the fireball could see!! I'll never forget that.

Take your good fortune as the celestial whatevers telling you that this is the hobby for you:)

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Peteinwicklow
  • Topic Author
  • Nebula
  • Nebula
More
19 years 2 months ago #8913 by Peteinwicklow
Replied by Peteinwicklow on topic Re: Strange object 'burning' up last night in Wicklow
Thanks for all the great replies everyone.... I won't forget that night in a hurry!

John & Al:
Thanks, very interesting reading about the phenomenon on those websites.

Paul:
Thanks for the invite to the meeting in Wicklow, unfortunatly I'm busy on both nights this weekend. However, I would be very interested in tagging along some evening and getting some tips on equipment and the heavens.
Do ye have another meeting planned anytime soon?
Could you 'pm' to me and I'll send you my email address... cheers

I wonder does anyone have a copy of the SKYLUX refractor owner's manual? I might put up a post for that later....

again, many thanks to all who replied with shared experiences/helpful info

Pete

More
19 years 2 months ago #8917 by jhonan

It was so bright it cast shadows that people who had their backs to the fireball could see!!

Don't you just hate it when something like that happens and you're facing the wrong way? :lol:

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds