K-Tec

Astronomical Observatories

More
9 years 1 month ago #103586 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Astronomical Observatories
Hi,

Budget was my main issue as well. But I didn't want do be to cheap as to build something that wouldn't last or be fit for whatever I might try in future.

I built a 10x8ft roll off roof observatory for a little over €1000 including the steel pier and concrete base for the pier. The cost was basically for the materials. Some details are at the bottom of www.cademuir.eu/observatory/ .I've since got electricity put in (paid an electrician to do that).

I had the drills and saws from various small DIY projects but I'd never built anything like this before. Still, by having a look at the skyshed designs and planning it out in detail I didn't find it too problematic, though it took many weekends of work.

So doing it yourself, if you need to buy the materials and buy/rent the tools, you won't really do it cheaper than €1500.

But don't go for an observatory yet. That money will be much better invested in optics. It took me about 15 years to go from my first decent scope to building an observatory :)

Good luck!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• scfahy
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
9 years 1 month ago #103592 by scfahy
Replied by scfahy on topic Astronomical Observatories
Ive been getting good advise on the various types of Scopes from my Brother who also has a keen Interest n Astronomy and owns a Williams Optics 80MM APO Triplet TMP Refractor which Im hoping to purchase as he is upgrading to a larger aperture Refractor. Im going to Start of with a Manual ALT -AZ mount and maybe look at a GOTO GEM if my interest in the Hobby persists. Thanks guys for all the recent advice on Observeratories and might catch up with some of you in the future

regards
Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds