Camera Modification

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 1 month ago #110076 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Camera Modification
There is one for sale on Adverts, but the seller does not seem to know what modification was performed, even stating that the h alpha filter was removed from the camera, there is no h alpha filter built into a camera.  I was tempted to put in a bid, but I think I will hold off for the moment.
He mentions the website of where he got the camera modified, it is in Poland and the site is in Polish, Google translate did a job on translating, but I could find no useful information.
I have contacted a number of camera repair sites around the city and none of them perform the modification I am looking after.
There is this site in the US:  www.lifepixel.com/   They sell modified cameras or you can send in your own, with the cost of the modification and shipping and insurance and import taxes, the price just goes up.
I will keep looking.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #110080 by Colin
Replied by Colin on topic Camera Modification
I have modded three canon cameras for my own use over the years. The first was a 500d & the latest two 7d mk1 bodies. You can pick up cheap used bodies on adverts.I wouldn't recommend using an expensive body. If you only want the camera for astrophotography then you only have to remove the ir block filter. The modification is relatively simple, be clean & meticulous, taking photos of everything as you go. Here is a link with some good diy instructions. dslrmodifications.com/#
The best tip I can give is pick up a cheap body to practice on. It's not as difficult as you might think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfahy, Until_then-Goodnight!

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 1 month ago #110081 by lunartic_old
Thanks for the reply, Colin.  I have watched numerous videos about the modification, there is one question I have to ask, when putting the camera back together, is there some soldering to be done?  Soldering is not something I can do?

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #110083 by Colin
Replied by Colin on topic Camera Modification
The two body types I have done required no soldering. The only tools I used were a jeweller's screwdriver set, a torx set, craft knife, & tooth pics. Ribbon cables & lots of tiny screws, but no soldering. The removal & replacement of the sensor is the tricky part, ie. getting the sensor aligned. You won't get it back to factory accuracy but if you're careful you can get it close.
If you decide to go ahead with it I can give you more specific advice on the various steps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunartic_old, scfahy, Until_then-Goodnight!

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 4 weeks ago #110084 by lunartic_old
Thanks Colin, I will keep that in mind.

Rich Cook

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 4 weeks ago - 3 years 4 weeks ago #110094 by lunartic_old
I was checking out the Baader website, they offer a camera conversion service, I went through the checkout, not with the intent to buy immediately, just to see what the final cost would be.  It appears they do not deal with orders from Ireland because there is no Baader dealer in Ireland.  I thought with the company being in Germany, and we are all one big, happy European family that we all deal with one another, it appears that I am wrong.
Telescope service offer the modification, but they charge €299 to just remove the IR filter, €399 to add a Baader filter.  €400 for a camera that costs €100!
If I want to get this done professionally I am left with no choice but to send it to the US.  They charge $275 for a full H Alpha conversion, that works out at €230, add another €50 or so for import fees and that is still a saving of about €120.

Paul

Rich Cook
Last edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by lunartic_old.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds