K-Tec

In relation to the Skylux... the setting circles

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #11787 by Seanie_Morris
Can anyone tell me how the setting circles are to be used on the Skylux? There is a R.A. setting cirle (0 to 23 hrs), but the declination is not as clear. Those who have the Skylux will notice what I am talking about.

Also, when this riddle is solved, is allignment simple? For example, I have attached a bubble level to the mount. Now, if I go out tonight and, on level ground, point the scope square on Polaris, with both axes level, and tilted at 52 degrees +/- 1 degree, would this be a way of having it more or less alligned and useable to point at stellar co-ordinates according to any star atlas?? The reason, to be able to point and look (with a tiny bit of sweeping) at deep sky objects otherwise hard to detect with a sweep, and with little or no reference stars in the vicinity.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #11798 by gnason

Can anyone tell me how the setting circles are to be used on the Skylux? There is a R.A. setting cirle (0 to 23 hrs), but the declination is not as clear. Those who have the Skylux will notice what I am talking about.Also, when this riddle is solved, is allignment simple? For example, I have attached a bubble level to the mount. Now, if I go out tonight and, on level ground, point the scope square on Polaris, with both axes level, and tilted at 52 degrees +/- 1 degree, would this be a way of having it more or less alligned and useable to point at stellar co-ordinates according to any star atlas?? The reason, to be able to point and look (with a tiny bit of sweeping) at deep sky objects otherwise hard to detect with a sweep, and with little or no reference stars in the vicinity.
Seanie.

Seanie,

Can't recall if I've seen a Skylux but presumably the mount is similar to other 60-80mm equatorial mounts. Few amateur astronomers actually use manual setting circles. Manufacturers presumably only put them there to make the mounts look "scientific", but with most mounts, the setting circles are too small in size and too poorly made to be useful to find anything. You really are better off using a good star atlas or computer charts to starhop. Assuming setting circles of sufficient size and accuracy (not a feature of Skylux-type mounts), they may get you within a degree or two of the object you're looking for but only if you're accurately polar aligned (not +/- 1 degree). When polar aligning for visual tracking with the slow motion controls, +/- 1 degree should be fine.

Gordon

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #11804 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: In relation to the Skylux... the setting circles
Thanks Gordon, and you are quite right on your postulation of the Skylux mount! Though, the setting circles on it (on mine anyway) are pretty firm. I have since found in the Files section here, the pdf manual of the scope (can't remember who uploaded it, sorry whoever you are!). It is quite easily explained. But, as you said, with this kind of mount, accuracy IS NOT a sure thing at all!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds