Which Eyepieces are Best?

• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #13738 by Paul FitzGerald
Which Eyepieces are Best? was created by Paul FitzGerald
I have a relation coming over here from Toronto next month. They have offered to pick up s.thing for me from the shop below.
Thing is, what would be best?

I've an 8" dob. , ~F6
1.25" eyepiece adapter in a 2" holder.
Off axis cover.
18mm 1.25" & 28mm 2" lenses. 2x barlow.

I bought an 80mm d. Celestron refractor with the intention of bringing it to Turkey next March also.

So I'm thinking of getting a Thousand Oaks filter for the Celestron.
A few different eyepieces for the dob. would be my idea.
Which are best, and is 1.25" or 2" preferable? Deep sky mainly.

Any ideas? :?:

www.escience.ca/home.html

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13740 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Which Eyepieces are Best?
Televue - if you can afford them. Naglers, Radians or Panoptics all offer great value for money. The 2" versions are best (from a field-of-view perspective) but you'll pay a premium.

For deep sky observing, it really depends on the 'size' and brightness of the objects you are looking for. The only thing you can change to gather more light for dimmer objects is the size of your primary mirror. Eyepieces will make little difference to the light gathering power of the OTA.

Eyepices will however give you differing fields of view - and the 28 and 18 you already have, plus the Barlow give you a good range of FOV's. If you're happy with the FOV's you are currently observing, then I'd only suggest upgrading to better quality eyepieces - possibly 2" versions if they're available.

You might also upgade the Barlow to a Televue Barlow or a Powermate.

By the way, I have no affiliation with Telvue! I have a 16mm Type 5 Nagler and a 2.5 Powermate - knock yer socks off quality...

Cheers

Dave McD

More
18 years 9 months ago #13744 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Which Eyepieces are Best?
For deep sky, I'd highly recommend 2inch eyepieces as they usually offer a wider field of view. I've a couple of Naglers and find them excellent. However, they ain't cheap. I bought bouth of mine second-hand from Astromart.com and would certainly recommend the site as it allows you to buy good quality stuff at fairly reasonable prices.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds