• tomcosgrave
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #14329 by tomcosgrave
EQ3-2 Mount - how much can it take? was created by tomcosgrave
Hi all,

I plan to get a refractor in a few months (this one - www.stellarvue.com/sv80lorder.html ) but am hoping not to have to buy a mount, as I have an EQ3-2 mount (came with the Helios 6" Newtonian that I have) - thing is, is the mount good enough for the scope?

Obviously, if I had the money, I'd getting a Losmandy of some sort without bothering about the EQ3-2, but I'd really prefer not to have spend any more money - the scope itself will be expensive enough!!

Cheers,
Tom

--
tom cosgrave
this is diopter - www.thisisdiopter.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #14330 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: EQ3-2 Mount - how much can it take?
Tom - there's absolutely no info out there on the payload capacity of the EQ3-2!

The closest I got was 'will easily carry up to a 5" refractor' - but then a triplet APO is not just an ordinary OTA... Even with an 80mm APO, there's no knowing if the mount will carry it.

If you are only going to do visual observing, the EQ3 will probably be fine. If you are considering astrophotography, the reviews I've seen of the EQ3 are not the best. But it can be done - just don't expect too much.

If astrophotography is a goal, I think the 80S would be a better choice than the 80L It'll be more forgiving of the mount.

Foir visual though, the 80L is a nice scope. The Stellarvue APO's ususlaly get good reviews and I'm sure you'll be happy with the OTA. You can always upgrade the mount later on when your bank balance has recovered :D

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Dave McD

• tomcosgrave
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #14335 by tomcosgrave
Replied by tomcosgrave on topic Re: EQ3-2 Mount - how much can it take?
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I've been tearing my hair out looking for decent specs for how much load the EQ3-2 will take, and there's nothing out there!

I'm going for the 80L because it's geared for visual viewing - I do have an interest in astrophotography, but only with a mounted camera, not prime focus, and even then, only on minor work taking pictures of constellations. I'm not concerned, or I'd have gone for the 80S, which is geared for photo work.

I suppose I could flog the EQ3-2 and put the proceeds to something heavier....hmmm. Ah well, have plenty of time to decide :-)

Cheers,
Tom

--
tom cosgrave
this is diopter - www.thisisdiopter.org

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds