K-Tec

Astro Ireland?

More
18 years 9 months ago #14356 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astro Ireland?
They have been around for a little while, but since I didn't trust the look of the site or knew who they were I never mentioned them. Having said that it does look better that other astronomy shops websites in Ireland!

Not being visible in whois isn't that suspicious, its easier not to be with some registrants.

AstroIreland is registerd with the CRO to an address in Glenview Park in Tallaght.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tomcosgrave
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #14357 by tomcosgrave
Replied by tomcosgrave on topic Re: Astro Ireland?

Tom,

If you want Vixen, go to Orion Optics (UK) Vixen site:
www.vixen.uk.com/acatalog/catalog.html

Gordon

I've got my mind already made up, it's just going to take a while to get it :-)
The price difference between Astro Ireland and Orion in the UK is pretty shocking, even with the exchange rate taken into account. Is it just me or is the only manufacturer affordable in Ireland is Helios or Intes? Seems to me that for everything else you have to oversees to get good value.

Cheers,
Tom

--
tom cosgrave
this is diopter - www.thisisdiopter.org

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 9 months ago #14358 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astro Ireland?
In the interests of fairness, I think its reasonable for me to point out that Astronomy Ireland will match or beat any UK price you can get on celestron products.

[edit albertw - Seanie has a list of dealers and suppliers listed at www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2273 many make good offers, so shop around to get the best deal.]

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 9 months ago #14371 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Astro Ireland?

They have been around for a little while, but since I didn't trust the look of the site or knew who they were I never mentioned them. Having said that it does look better that other astronomy shops websites in Ireland!

Well, I heard of it before too but I've never heard of anyone who has actually bought anything whatsoever. Regarding the web site, you are saying this tongue in cheek, Al, aren't you? There's nothing on the site except for Vixen telescopes in old specs (the 114 refractor for example hasn't been available for ages) and the page obviously predates the Sphinx (no, not the Egyptian one!). Try buying one of the "thousands of books" or software and you're directed to Amazon! Well, we all know Amazon has thousands of books but Astro Ireland clearly doesn't! You could try buying accessories, CCD equipment, binoculars or specials but, oh no you can't. There's none for sale. Come on Al, even Andy McCrea's page is better than this.

AstroIreland is registerd with the CRO to an address in Glenview Park in Tallaght.

Anyone volunteering to call up and peek through the window at all the goodies stacked up in the living room for immediate delivery to customers?

Gordon

More
18 years 9 months ago #14372 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Astro Ireland?

Try buying one of the "thousands of books" or software and you're directed to Amazon!

That's the con then - look closer at the link ... there's a referral id in there. He makes money on anything purchased from Amazon if linked from his site.

LOL@looking through the window :D

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 9 months ago #14375 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astro Ireland?

Well, I heard of it before too but I've never heard of anyone who has actually bought anything whatsoever. Regarding the web site, you are saying this tongue in cheek, Al, aren't you? There's nothing on the site except for Vixen telescopes in old specs (the 114 refractor for example hasn't been available for ages) and the page obviously predates the Sphinx (no, not the Egyptian one!). Try buying one of the "thousands of books" or software and you're directed to Amazon! Well, we all know Amazon has thousands of books but Astro Ireland clearly doesn't! You could try buying accessories, CCD equipment, binoculars or specials but, oh no you can't. There's none for sale. Come on Al, even Andy McCrea's page is better than this.

It looks better at a glance, I know there is little content but that isnt realy what I was getting at. The books section is comical, the scopes are out of date in some cases, and the links to the telescope descriptions dont work. But, it does have a simple sidebar and does have the prices clearly stated and the all important "buy now button". (granted the sidebar links to sections that are "under construction" but the functionality wasn't really my point)

I dont think Andy's is better laid out than this (though the actual content is far better). In my browser at least everything is on the one page and doesnt fit. There is no breakdown of the site into say telescopes/binoculars/accessories.

I would like to see other dealers have a layout more like this guy. Perhaps more specifically I would like to see simple to navigate sites, listings of actual prices for all goods, and ideally shopping carts etc.

The astroirelad books section is comical. If I was buying books I'd go directly to amazon unless I was planning on going into the city center to the large bookstores. However I know that A&S stock books, and if I could go to their website, select what I want calculate postage and click on a pay button I might actually buy from them; but they dont even have a catalogue up.

Anyone volunteering to call up and peek through the window at all the goodies stacked up in the living room for immediate delivery to customers?

;-) I suspect that there wont be any boxes!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds