K-Tec

DIY SOS!

More
18 years 9 months ago #14415 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: DIY SOS!

Hi Dave,

check your cuprinol for benzene, toluene, xylene and solvents such as chloroform, methylene chloride and trichloroethylene.
Cheers,
Dave P

Can't find these in my star atlas :lol: :lol:
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #14423 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Preservatives
Dave, use protim or cuprinol, not creosote is very corrosive and it stinks, some wood suppliers have a high pressure plant used to impregnate the timber, would do urs im sure, protim and plastic wont interact im sure, Victoria cross sawmills in Cork had one but they are closed now, Protim is usually sold green, brown or clear
Charles

More
18 years 9 months ago #14438 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: DIY SOS!
Dave Mc,
Mind me asking what size/length/type of tng flooring you decided to go with? Where did you get it? Was it delivered?
Sorry for the questions but I've made up my mind what I'm going with. I just need to do the sums and see what I can afford! I'm either gonna use flooring, mdf or marine ply for the walls. I'll have to price each option and make a judgement call then.

Stupid question but here goes - would it not be better to let the whole structure breath a little rather than wrapping it up in plastic? Once the walls are treated shouldn't that be enough to keep it waterproof?

BTW, any chance of a photo or two??

Thanks,

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #14449 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: DIY SOS!
With fear and trepidation, I opened up the Cuprinol stuff and tried it on a piece of scrap plastic. Hoorah - no reaction! So thanks to Dave and Charles! Jeez Dave, is there anything you don't know? :D

So I swiftly painted two walls (very quick to apply - its really thin stuff) and then it lashed down - seemed to work. And there was hardly any smell though I was working outside on a fairly blustery day.

But then I had severe 'engineering' difficulties with the roof. Hopefully they're fixed now but I'll know tomorrow. If I remember, I lash out a few mid-construction photos.

Needless to say, this has been some challenge - a lot of on the hoof mods and given the design, I'd do it differently next time...

Michael - no floor - its a rolling shed. A roll off roof seemed too much work and I really wanted to get something together by the end of August. The lack of a floor should give enough breathing space and I'll make sure the doors leak a bit :D

THe T&G was from Atlantic - tenner for ten sheets but quality is poor - hence the sheeting. I need about 100 sheets altogether so that cost me 100 quid. Cuprinol 20, Damp Proof Membrane - 35 quid for 4x15 metres. Then about 80 quids worth of 2.4m x 50mm x 47mm battens. A rool of felt was about 7 quid. Add in screws, and a few other odds, its about 260 quid. I may need to change the wheels - B&Q had the ones I wanted - but only three of them (who bought the other one?). So i'm doing with 100mm ones for nopw but they're woeful.

Dims are 2.4m square and 1.7m high walls. With an apex roof, the highest point is about 2.2m which will clear a fully loaded mount with a large scope on board. The challenge is not having a roof cross-member at the front of the shed... More later...

More
18 years 8 months ago #14454 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: DIY SOS!
Personally, I can't wait to see this thing Dave :D Don't forget to post some pics up when you get the chance! is there such a thing as an observatory warming?

IFAS web team

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds