• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #14497 by dmcdona
Dave's Observatory was created by dmcdona
Folks - here's some images of the observatory in progress:

THis is the basic frame for the walls (3 of them). The damp-proof membrane is fixed with tacks.

This is the frame from the other side - panelled and painted

This is one of the four wheels. I think I may need to get bigger ones, but we'll see...

This is the roof from the front - the lack of a cross-member is to give me the clearance height I need. But this meant careful design of the roof so it was still rigid.

Here's the roof from the side. The back is to the right. With the DPM fitted, some support slats for the felt fixed, its pretty stable.

Once I have the roof felted, I'll fix the three walls and roof together then desgign, build and fit a front end.

Any suggestions for a name would be welcome.

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #14498 by briano
Replied by briano on topic Re: Dave's Observatory
That looks pretty cool, well done, I see your d.i.y. skills are pretty good.
So it looks like the whole observatory moves on wheels, does the door have to be very big to move the observatory away from the scope?

Brian O Leary

More
18 years 8 months ago #14502 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Dave's Observatory
Interesting Dave. It certainly looks well. I had yet another think about mine and I will go with something similar. We've a spare shed in the back garden so i might as well take the floor out and stick a few wheels under it. Something cheap-'n'-cheerful will do fine for the moment. Certainly provides me food for thought.
Thanks for posting the pics - very useful.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #14503 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Dave's Observatory
Brian - I haven't really though too much about the doors yet but they will have to extend to the apex of the roof pretty much, so they'll be an odd shape.

The biggest issue I had was figuring out the size of the shed. With the OTA fully mounted and in a horizontal position, I needed 2 meters. Width wise, only only needed about 1.7m. I started off building to those dimensions but when I had one wall done, I realised that this thing was going to look like a tower. And I was then worried about wind blowing it over. So I turned the design on its side - the roof is now bigger of course but I was fine for materials.

As far as DIY skills go, I'm still learning and still making mistakes :oops: I think the wheels will need a rethink but I'll try them as they are.

Michael - the shed idea sounds fine. And anything that makes observing that bit easier is a good thing.

And as a general point, the reason I'm doing this is to avoid polar aligning every session :D . A 'warm' room isn;t really a consideration for me as I'm not doing visual observing, just imaging. So once I roll off the shed, I retire to the warmth of the study and work from there.

Certainly, this design will not suit everyone but I think it suits me. And its cost me about 300 quid which isn't bad. Its the time that's a major pain - about 4 full days so far and at least a couple more to go.

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 8 months ago #14515 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Dave's Observatory

Its the time that's a major pain - about 4 full days so far and at least a couple more to go.
Cheers
Dave

Thats not bad time there Dave.
All we need now is the date for your star-B-Q to christen it :wink:
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #14517 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Dave's Observatory
I'd hope to have it finished over the coming weekend - famous last words... :roll:

The Celbridge Star-B-Q - now that would be something. If the observatory doesn't work out, we'd have plenty of fuel :lol:

Cheers

Dave McD

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds