K-Tec

light pollution filters

More
18 years 7 months ago #15475 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: light pollution filters

Is there a real noticeable improvement in using a light pollution filter? I've priced a few, and they seem quite expensive. You see, it's my birthday coming up and I'm about to start dropping hints to 'er indoors about what I want! I was thinking of, at this point in time, just getting a set of colour filters instead -would these be better for seeing DSO's? BTW, budget for the LPR, not more than £100...

Colour filters are for planetary viewing only not DSOs. Many experienced amateur astronomers prefer viewing Jupiter and Saturn without any filters at all. A 21 orange for small to medium aperture or a 28 red for large aperture is useful on Mars so if you want a colour filter, that's the one to go for at the moment with Mars getting closer to us.

If you read the previous posts on this topic, you'll get a good idea of what broadband and narrowband DSO filters are available. Aesthetically, you'll notice a difference with a LPR as the typical orange glow will be consideraly reduced but in real terms, it probably won't do a lot for you unless you live in a heavily light polluted area. Narrowband filters are for viewing planetary nebulae and emission nebulae (won't do anything for reflection nebulae) and a UHC filter is of more use than an OIII filter as it works on more nebulae and dims the background sky to a much lesser degree. You should be able to get a UHC and a 21 orange for less than £100.

Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds