How to observe the partial solar eclipse October 3rd,

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #15755 by dave_lillis
Hi,
I was looking at starry night and see that the solar eclipse is only a few weeks away and could be a nice one if the weather is good.

I was just wondering how people are going to observe it, if you have no telescope nor filters how would you recommend that a person would "see" it.
I have a few ideas, but I was just wondering about what ideas are out there that would allow Joe Public observe it without buying filters etc....

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #15762 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: How to observe the partial solar eclipse October 3rd,
Dave,
I think the second half of note 5 of this link www.assabfn.co.za/spacetides/issues/solar_eclipse02.htm gives good advice (and some disturbing facts!)

More
18 years 7 months ago #15768 by gnason

Hi, I was looking at starry night and see that the solar eclipse is only a few weeks away and could be a nice one if the weather is good.I was just wondering how people are going to observe it, if you have no telescope nor filters how would you recommend that a person would "see" it.I have a few ideas, but I was just wondering about what ideas are out there that would allow Joe Public observe it without buying filters etc....

Have you any eclipse shades left over from the '99 solar eclipse? If not, they're easy to get. I kept a few. I also have a very handy projection instrument called a Light Line Solar Projector. Uses lenses but doesn't have an eyepiece so very safe. Unfortunately, the UK company that made them ceased trading after the eclipse.

You could also try www.rainbowsymphony.com/soleclipse.html . They have some nifty looking welder's #14 glass in holders or simply call in to a welder's suppliers, buy some glasss and mount them yourself.

Chris Kitchen describes how to make a pinhole viewer with a long tube in his book Solar Observing Techniques. Take a long tube such as a plastic drainpipe or similar. Cover one end with an opaque screen which has a small hole punched through it and cover the other end with a translucent screen, such as ground glass, flimsy typing paper or tracing paper. Add a large square shield made from stiff cardboard and place on a suitable support with the pinhole end pointing towards the Sun. The solar image is projected onto the translucent screen while the large square shield shades peoples eyes from the glare of the Sun while viewing the screen.

Here's something similar. www.exploratorium.edu/eclipse/how.html

Gordon

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #15770 by dave_lillis
thanks lads,
I've heard of the 5mm pin hoile projection method, seems like it would be the best way for Joe public to see it.
I've got thousand oak filters, so the eclipse hopefully wont be a problem :?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds