K-Tec

Image Stabilised Binos

More
18 years 6 months ago #16592 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Image Stabilised Binos
I had a look through some night vision scope at the WSP, it does show many more stars and M31 was very evident, but it did ruin my night vision.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
18 years 6 months ago #16611 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Image Stabilised Binos
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I guess I'll just have to try them to see if they're worth it. Stay tuned!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
18 years 6 months ago #16619 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Image Stabilised Binos
First of all, I wouldn't consider any stabilised binoculars other than Canon's models. Canon got the compensation angle just right for astronomy at +/- 0.7 degs, perfect to eliminate handshake without causing a feeling of sea-sickness, a complaint of some stabilised binocular users. The compensation angle of Fujinon's Techno-Stabi binoculars is +/- 5 degs (i.e seven times more) and I found this most disturbing to use for astronomy while on terra firma when testing a pair of Techno-Stabi 14x40 against my Canon 12x36 pair. S & T also reviewed Canon, Fujinon and a Russian pair a few years ago and concluded that the Canon model was the best.

IS binoculars may not be to everybody’s taste but it is quite wrong to suggest they are a gimmick. It is not unusual to read comments like this from people who have only tested them for brief periods but ask people who have used them extensively and you'll get a different answer. I've been using Canon stabilised binoculars regularly for about five years; 12x36IS for a couple of years followed by a 15x50IS AW pair and 10x30IS on occasions. Personally, I find them excellent for binocular viewing, as I like to observe with complete freedom to move around as I wish without the hassle and constrictions of a tripod, sun-beds or gadgets. Also, as already said, great for weekends away and holidays to better climes.

I could see far more and deeper with the Canon 12x36IS pair than my Nikon 10x50s (hand-held), due in part to the excellent coatings but mainly due to rock steady views. The extra power and aperture of the 15x50IS pair is great for splitting double stars and viewing open clusters as well as nebulae etc. Like Damon, I don’t find them great for the planets but that doesn’t concern me, as my primary interest is deep sky.

Despite the aperture, the 10x30IS pair is rated highly for _casual_ astronomy, light and very easy on batteries. Leif Robinson (ex-S&T editor) reviewed a pair a few years ago and gave them a glowing report. The 12x36IS pair is obviously a bit heavier but nice to use and again reasonable on batteries. The weight of the 15x50 and 18x50 pairs can be tiring on the arms when using for extended periods – I do use a deck chair sometimes. Also, these models are more demanding on batteries but AA batteries are very cheap when bought in 12, 24 or 32 packages and the binoculars only take two at a time (use Ni-MH rechargeable if you wish). Always bring spare batteries as they can go without much warning. The larger pairs have tripod adapters and 5-minute stabilisation-on switches instead of having to keep the stabilisation button pressed as with the smaller models.

IS technology is expensive, although Canon reduced its prices substantially last year so better value now. To me, purchasing the Canon binoculars was worth the investment for the freedom it brings – I never use handheld non-IS binoculars anymore – just too shaky! However, others may find parallelogram mounts and other gadgets more suitable.

Gordon

More
18 years 6 months ago #16622 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re: Image Stabilised Binos
I agree with Gordon. I have the Canon 12x36 IS II and they are a delight. Light and easy to hold. I see more (i.e fainter stars and deep sky detail) with them than with my hand held DDR Zeiss 10x50s.

They are in the region of $600 in US. AI Shop in Dublin sells 12x36 IS
for €1199 (since they don't have a "II" I presume they are the older and heavier version).

I guess how you value them is what you want them for, if you enjoy sweeping the starclouds of the Milky Way from a not too light polluted site you will not be disappointed.

Recently in Spain I surveyed some southern Messier Objects with my binoculars. A report will appear in a forthcoming Orbit.

John
IAS Dir. of Observations

More
18 years 6 months ago #16633 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Image Stabilised Binos

I agree with Gordon. I have the Canon 12x36 IS II and they are a delight. Light and easy to hold. I see more (i.e fainter stars and deep sky detail) with them than with my hand held DDR Zeiss 10x50s.John IAS Dir. of Observations

John,

Haven't tried the newer 12x36 IS II yet but good to know you're enjoying Canon's IS technology as well.

I note Canon has released a new 10 x 42 IS WP model, the first waterproof IS binoculars and with the the largest exit pupil of the range, so presumably excellent for astronomy. Expensive though - the Camera Centre is advertising them at €1499. Nice looking specification:
consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act...28&modelid=11092

Gordon

• pot268
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago #19257 by pot268
Replied by pot268 on topic Sorry
Well thats your opinion and well its your opinion.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds