Meade's New Truss Dobs

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 6 months ago #17472 by michaeloconnell
Meade's New Truss Dobs was created by michaeloconnell
Looks like Meade is gonna start selling truss dobs. 8", 10" and 12" apertures. Considering the vast number of companies selling dobs of that aperture, I would have thought they'd have gone for truss dobs of larger aperture :?
tinyurl.com/8ha3b

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17474 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Meade's New Truss Dobs
Looks interesting. V. handy as a larger grab 'n' go scope.

Is ther much involved in the collimating of these each time you set up?

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17475 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Meade's New Truss Dobs
Just when i was about to purchase an 8" dob...this came along. good job you told me!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 6 months ago #17483 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Meade's New Truss Dobs
On the other end of the scale I see they have produced a new Ritchey Chretian scope as well. I bet by the time it reaches our shores I'll have to trade a leg for it...
www.meade.com/rcx400/index.html

IFAS web team

More
18 years 6 months ago #17487 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Meade's New Truss Dobs
Mixed reviews so far on the RCX scopes Dave. If they sold them as an OTA only I might be tempted but judging by feedback so far, the OTA is pretty good but the mount seems a bit lacking. A bit like having a Ferrari with a 1.1 engine....

And its not a true Richey-Chretian because it employs a corrector plate at the front end. Though I suspect that's the 'purists' getting a dig in...

I saw one in the US a couple of months back and they certainly look the part though its a pretty steep price tag in US dollars. God knows what the Euro price would be - well into 5 figures for the largest aperture anyhow :cry: And it wouldn't be just be one leg you'd be trading in :wink:

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 6 months ago #17494 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Meade's New Truss Dobs
Agree with Mike, would have thought that Meade would have gone for larger apertures...

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds