K-Tec

Planetary Observing - Eyepieces

More
18 years 5 months ago #18051 by Neill
Planetary Observing - Eyepieces was created by Neill
Hi,

I am in the process of selling my TAL reflector on Ebay, i.e. building the ad etc - if successful I will need to replace the 10 and 25mm plossls that came with it and will be sold with it. I got a 26mm plossl with the Meade LXD 75 8" reflector f/4 and recently bought a Moonfish Ultrawide - so would need just to replace the 10mm. Is there any advantage in buying 6 and 12mm plossls or 6 and 15mm plossls over just buying a 10mm plossl for planetary observing?

Neill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18054 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Planetary Observing - Eyepieces
I'm no expert myself but from what I'm told you'd be better of buying a 12mm and a 2x barlow. That will leave you with the equivalent of 26, 13, 12 and 6mm eyepieces.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 5 months ago #18064 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Planetary Observing - Eyepieces
Steve's on the right track, but 13mm and 12mm effective focal lengths are too close together to be of much use. With an f/4 scope, you're also going to want some really short focal lengths for those nights when the seeing is good -- so I'd go with a higher-mag barlow.

A 15mm and a UO 2.8 Klee barlow would give you 26, 15, 9, 5.

Meade also has a 3x barlow, but it's only a doublet so the UO will have better color correction.

Better yet would be a 4x barlow and a 12mm Plossl (giving 26, 12, 7, 4), but the only thing I've seen at 4x is the TeleVue 2" Powermate, which is going to set you back some serious money.

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds