Further Skylux query...

• LUNAtic
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 5 months ago #19693 by LUNAtic
Further Skylux query... was created by LUNAtic
I know the current Skylux offer has it's own thread but I wanted to ask for some specific advice. As you know, I bought the Aldi 60mm refractor a few weeks back and have been very happy with it. I'd like to stick with this level of scope for the foreseeable future as it suits my ability and commitment level. However, my main gripe with this telescope is the very poor performance of the mount - manually tracking objects is a pain as the mount will not "sit" when small adjustments are applied. I'm sure most people will know the scenario where you move the scope a tad diagonally but as soon as you let go it resumes it's former position :roll: This necessitates exagerated movements which often result in losing the image at higher magnification. Anyway, I'm considering buying the Skylux as a replacement purely because of it's superior mount and adjustors (and the price of course!).

Is this a good idea? Will the Skylux mount provide the small adjustment I'm looking for or is it a bit ricketty too?

Anyone want to buy a very cheap 60mm refractor :lol:

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #19696 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Further Skylux query...
I have no idea what the Aldi scopes mount is like, but the Skylux mount was pretty rigid. From what I remember it's a pretty good eq mount.

However,
If the tracking is taking the fun out of it for you, you may want to consider the ETX-70 Lidl are offering. For €169 it'll find and track the objects for you robotically. Optically, it's similar to the Skylux.

I suppose it depends on your budget and your patience :D

Dave P

IFAS web team

• Frank Concannon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago #19700 by Frank Concannon
Replied by Frank Concannon on topic Re: Further Skylux query...
same issue will arise. these are not great instruments.
just my opinion based on my experience
fc

More
18 years 5 months ago #19706 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Further Skylux query...
Hi Neil

I have a skylux for about a year now, It was a little stiff at first, but i opened up mount, cleaned it out and now it works ok. You can adjust the stiffness on each of the controls also. By the sounds of it, it will perform better that your mount at the moment, but TBH I do not do a whole lot of high power observing with it. Another thing to consider is that the mount/tripod in this years scope looks different from the one I have, but for €59 you cannot go wrong...if all comes to all you can sell it on ebay for a profit in 6 months

Cheers
Trevor

• LUNAtic
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 5 months ago #19717 by LUNAtic
Replied by LUNAtic on topic Re: Further Skylux query...

However, If the tracking is taking the fun out of it for you, you may want to consider the ETX-70 Lidl are offering.

I don't mind manually tracking. The problem is that the Aldiscope is on a basic and cheap altazimuth fork mount with no fine controls. Hence, I end up in the scenario I described above.

same issue will arise. these are not great instruments. just my opinion based on my experience

So the Skylux mount is unstable? But surely it's EQ mount with controls would out perform the basic altazimuth of the Aldiscope?

By the sounds of it, it will perform better that your mount at the moment, but TBH I do not do a whole lot of high power observing with it. Another thing to consider is that the mount/tripod in this years scope looks different from the one I have, but for €59 you cannot go wrong...if all comes to all you can sell it on ebay for a profit in 6 months

This is kinda my way of thinking on it, ie. surely a better mount than what I have and it's still cheap. And a younger cousin of mine may benefit with a telescope as a Christmas present :D

Any other thoughts...

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 5 months ago #19803 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Further Skylux query...
Hi Neil,

I think you will find that an EQ mount like the skylux will be far superior to an alt az mount for visual use. Remember with even a rough alignment. i.e plonking the mount down roughly north you will be able to follow an object with a turn of a knob rather than have to move two axes of an alt-az mount. I cant comment on the specifics of the skylux scope as I dont have one (might buy one on monday just to test. might even make a nice guidescope). However like mostr scopes I'm sure dissassembly, cleaning regreasing and reassembly will help a lot, but may not even be needed. For the above reasons I'd say its worth a gamble. Depending on how much 69 lids means to you.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds