K-Tec

new GPS lx90 + modified RC optics in lx200 mount.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 4 months ago #21313 by dave_lillis
seems like meade have been mixing their systems to see what they can come up with.

They've added GPS to the LX90 range.

meade.com/lx90gps/index.html

They've also added their rcx400 optics into the lx200 and are calling it the LX200R.
meade.com/lx200r/index.html

Time will tell if these are good ideas.

Some are saying that this spells the end for the SCT design for meade and that the lower cost lx90s will be the only SCTs left.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #21320 by gnason

seems like meade have been mixing their systems to see what they can come up with.
They've added GPS to the LX90 range.
Some are saying that this spells the end for the SCT design for meade and that the lower cost lx90s will be the only SCTs left.

Dave,

I would have discounted the benefits of GPS until a few months ago when I bought a Celestron NexStar 8GPS. It's so nice just to switch on and do nothing until the scope finds the first alignment star.

The Meade LX90GPS also includes the existing LNT module. Why is this necessary as well as a GPS module?

Gordon

More
18 years 4 months ago #21321 by jeyjey
Gordon --

In order to go to the first alignment star, the scope needs to know 3 things: where it is on earth, which way its RA/Dec axes are pointed, and what time it is. The GPS gives it where and when; the LNT allows it to figure out which way the axes are pointed.

(Of course if you're polar mounted on a wedge, then the scope already knows which way the axes are pointed and you don't need LNT. It's an alt/az feature only.)

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds