K-Tec

Department Store Telescope

More
18 years 3 months ago #22214 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Department Store Telescope
lphilp00 (alias for Phillip??),
a focuser can be cheap. All you want is a simple plastic mechanism. David Brannigan has a point about not wasting more time on it, as Tasco doesn't seem to have a reputable name in recent years. Add the fact that you can get a same size refractor for a little more money than the reflector, and that could also be a better option.

However, the focuser option is a sound one if funds did not allow for getting a better/larger scope.

2 options to you to get the focuser:
1- try Gerry Maloney (username here is oristown, PM me for his number). Gerry deals in 2nd hand equipment, and he lives near Navan in Meath but can post stuff.
2- try Andromeda Optics. One of the pair that runs it is on these boards by the name of Wallymee. They usually deal with new equipment, but could have what you need at a good price.

After that, just keep saving those pennies!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lphilp00
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 3 months ago #22223 by lphilp00
Replied by lphilp00 on topic Re: Department Store Telescope
Thanks for that Seanie. I'm beginning to agree that a new telescope might be the best option. I may only end up butchering what I have and be left with nothing. I'll have another look over the weekend, and maybe try adjusting the primary mirror to see if that helps. Thanks again for all your help. Regards, Liam.

• 11" Astrophotograph
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 3 months ago #22298 by 11" Astrophotograph
Replied by 11" Astrophotograph on topic Telescope
lphilp00 I would reccomend saving up money for a 12" Dobsonian.I have the Revelation 12" Dobsonian and it is a brilliant scope. Here's a link to the supplier : www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?point...mp;thelang=001lngdef :D

MR

More
18 years 3 months ago #22316 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Nice telescope
That 12" dob is a great telescope, I have an 8" meade, our club has a 10" meade and I have used and compared them, no doubt the 12" would collect large amounts of light and do a great Job........500stg is a good price too
Charles

• lphilp00
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 3 months ago #22491 by lphilp00
Replied by lphilp00 on topic Re: Department Store Telescope
That looks like an impressive scope for that price alright. What would be involved in motorising this, so that it could be used for astrophotography etc?

More
18 years 3 months ago #22503 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Department Store Telescope
Dobs can be motorised and used for astrophotography. Motorised mounts are available and vary in price from a few hundred doallrs to over $4K.

Its not a common astrophotography setup though. But if your idea is to split the scope's use between visual and photography, it'd work fine - with a bit more of an investment... You'll need to add in an imager of course.

Cheers

Dave

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds