K-Tec

Be carefull how you "clean" your scope

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 6 months ago #5326 by dave_lillis
First I laughed, then I felt real sorry for the guy, he did try to do the right thing.
In the club when anyone asks me my opinion on how to clean optics, my response is usually DON'T unless you know what your doing.

All the same, you have to admire anyone that allows a story like this to be on the web. :oops:

There except for the grace of DIY ability and luck, go I. :lol: :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5332 by spculleton

First I laughed, then I felt real sorry for the guy, he did try to do the right thing.

C'mon Dave, optics fresh from the manufacturer and he tries to clean them? I do feel sorry for the guy, but not as sorry as I feel for the gene pool!

I have a few spots and speckles on the corrector plate of my LX90. One winter night the fumes from the gas vent on the side of my house condensed onto the plate. Funnily enough in daylight these speckles are completely invisible and they only really show when I shine a redlight onto the plate to check for dew. I don't think they effect the performance though and I've been putting up with them for almost two years. Clean it? Maybe, sometime, but not yet. If I was this guy I'd have a periscope at this stage!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 6 months ago #5336 by albertw

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 6 months ago #5346 by dave_lillis

C'mon Dave, optics fresh from the manufacturer and he tries to clean them? I do feel sorry for the guy, but not as sorry as I feel for the gene pool!

I have a few spots and speckles on the corrector plate of my LX90. One winter night the fumes from the gas vent on the side of my house condensed onto the plate. Funnily enough in daylight these speckles are completely invisible and they only really show when I shine a redlight onto the plate to check for dew. I don't think they effect the performance though and I've been putting up with them for almost two years. Clean it? Maybe, sometime, but not yet. If I was this guy I'd have a periscope at this stage!

True, he should not have touched it in the first plate considering it was directly from the manufacturer.
Wait until your scope is 5 years old like mine, you start to
"ignore" all dirt and specs on the plate and everywhere else.

I've heard of people using bottled air to clean optics, this is a complete disaster as the propellent can splutter and condensate on the lens/plate, this is very hard stuff to get off.

Kind of reminds me of the joke email regarding the guy who bought a PC and used the CDROM as a cup holder and spilled all the tea into the drive, the tech support guy calmly told him to plug it out, place it back in the box and go down to the shopwhere he bought it and tell the sales guy that he's is too stupid to own a PC..

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 6 months ago #5349 by voyager
If it ain't borke .......

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 6 months ago #5351 by spculleton

If it ain't borke .......

Don't fxi it!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds