Setting up a Fireball Camera

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 7 months ago #86258 by michaeloconnell
Setting up a Fireball Camera was created by michaeloconnell
I was at the International Meteor Conference in Armagh yesterday and earlier today.
I found it very interesting and quite informative.
One of the things I would like to do at some stage is to set up a fireball camera.
As I understand it, I need the following:
1. Camera
2. Lens
3. Enclosure to keep the camera dry and prevent dew
4. Software
5. Frame grabber
6. PC

So, starting from the top:
1. Camera - Looks like the Watec 902 would be quite good for this application (approx. 350euro)
2. Computar lenses seem to be the job. The 3.8mm and 6mm lenses are used quite often used it seems. Can be got s/h from eBay (40euro say)
3. Enclosure - I see that some people have standard CCTV-type rectangular boxes while others use an acrylic dome. Presumably, the acrylic domes are used fro all-sky camera surveys whilst the CCTV enclosures can be used where a narrower field is utilised. (30euro)
4. MetRec and the UFOCapture seems to be the main ones used.
MetRec is free and does all it's work automatically.
UFOCapture requires human intervention to carry out the analysis in separate steps. However, UFOCapture can compute observations from different stations and compute precise trajectories & orbits - this would be quite interesting IMHO - something which MetRec can't do apparently. UFOCapture costs approx. 170euro, which isn't cheap.
5. Frame grabber - MetRec requires a Matrox Meteor II frame grabber which can be nearly as expensive as the camera.
What I'm not sure of is whether UFOCapture requires a frame grabber? Can anyone confirm?
6. PC - This is the easy bit. Can just run it off the PC in my observatory

In the longterm, it would be great to see a synchronised fireball camera network across all of in Ireland.

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #86263 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re:Setting up a Fireball Camera
Hi Michael, to answer your questions in turn.

1. Yes, no doubt. I have two Watec 902DM2S cameras but I also recommend the Watec 902H Ultimate, both cameras have ½ inch CCDs and I think they are capable of driving both DC and video lenses. They are highly sensitive in low light conditions and build quality is second to none. Go for the PAL (CCIR) model, your maximum resolution will be 720 x 576.
2. I doubt it. Computar high speed asperhcial lenses (f0.8, f1.0) for ½” CCDs are about as rare as the lesser spotted Celtic Tiger. Those fantastic lenses were unfortunately discontinued a few years back. Having said that you might be very very lucky in picking up one. I sold such a lens on eBay recently; it was sold within one day to a researcher for a substantial profit.
3. Many researches are using outdoor rated camera enclosures. I have two TPH-1000 enclosures, IP 66 rated. They have internal controlled heaters, fully cable managed, mounting wall brackets included and internal camera mounting plate etc etc. they are bullet proof as the saying goes and well designed!
4. Those are the two main software packages alright for image acquisition. MetRec will only work with Matrox frame grabbers I understand. I haven’t used MetRec software so I can’t tell offer you much detail about it unfortunately. I use UFO capture (from SonotaCo) and once you have the correct initial settings plugged in then UFO capture will be your eyes on the sky even when you are asleep, all you have to do is check the previous nights recorded events in the morning.
5. Yes, some costs thousands and a decent quality frame grabber is a must; however from my experience as a low cost option with good quality I would recommend KWorld 2800 USB 2.0 frame grabber. The next step up I would highly recommend the Canopus ADVC-55, I use the ADVC-55s (plugged into the fire wire ports) myself without any issues.
6. Maybe! Uncompressed AVI data streams is highly demanding of CPU capabilities and you also need to have a fast write speed HDD otherwise you end up with useless AVI files that can’t be analysed later (UFO Analyzer V2 software which is free to individual researchers, also from SonotaCo).

There will also be cables / transformers required for video signal, camera power, and camera enclosure heater etc, since the cameras are usually mounted outside some distance from the Host PC. An all Irish co-ordinated meteor camera network, now there is a great idea!

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 7 months ago #86271 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Setting up a Fireball Camera
Thanks Mike for your input.

I see what you mean re the lens.
I saw this:
cgi.ebay.ie/Computar-1-3-4mm-f1-2-Auto-I...&hash=item56311b9f88
However, I see now it is 1/3".
So the 1/2" is the one to aim for I take it.

I see that Amazon have the Canopus ADVC-55 for 150 pounds.

Sounds like one won't have much chnage from 1,000euro. :-(

More
13 years 7 months ago #86290 by Mike
Hi Michael
Unfortunately the sum for such a camera system as I have will be around the 1000 euro mark, but of course there are always cheaper options and you can pick up bargains out there, it’s a matter of luck really. You could make your own acrylic camera dome, I did so a while back with Wavin piping and a new acrylic dome I purchased for about 8 dollars. I think the camera of choice is now the Watec 902H Ultimate (1/2” CCD); general price guide is around 320 Euro. That particular lens Michael would not be really suitable. You can still use 1/3” lens design with ½” CCD cameras but of course you will have FOV and other limitations. The key is too have a high speed lens (f0.8 – f1.0) for ½” CCDs with an asperhical surface design which enhances IR for low light level conditions.

Trying to remember some of the costs involved for all the hardware bits and bobs, software, shipping etc it came to over 1k Euro. An approximate breakdown would be…
Camera: Watec902DM2S – ~520 Euro approx
Lens: Computar high speed f0.8, 8mm for ½” CCDs ~230 Euro
Software: UFO Capture V2 ~125 Euro
Camera housing: TPH-1000 with heater ~90 Euro
Frame Grabber: Canopus ADVC55 ~ 160 Euro
Camera cable (s-video to BNC) / 12vdc transformer: ~35 Euro

Any questions, just ask or PM me.

Clear skies
Mike

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 6 months ago #86480 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Setting up a Fireball Camera

More
13 years 6 months ago #86485 by Mike
Hi Michael
For the money it’s a good camera (is it colour?), I don’t think the price includes the lens though. I don’t know enough about Samsung cameras to make a strong recommendation for use in video observations of meteors and similar transient events. I did have on loan at one time a Samsung camera from Mr. Eamonn Ansbro (The Kingsland Observatory), I can’t remember the exact model but it was one of Samsungs higher end cameras I believe, I was using it for experimental purposes as a guide camera on my telescope, I might have some saved images (integration images between 10 and 20 secs) somewhere on my PC from the Samsung camera and images from the Watec camera I could place on flickr for your review.

Some of the specifications on that particular camera on eBay are decent; i.e., lux value, resolution and SN ratio. The camera has a 1/3” CCD chip which is OK but I would recommend going for ½” CCD chip. How this camera works in practical terms for what you intend it for is open to question.

Watec cameras are preferred choice for amateurs and professionals for occultation work, lunar meteorite patrols, meteors and recording atmospheric events such as sprites and elves etc., especially Watec-902H Ultimate camera I would highly recommend. If you could save the pennies Michael and obtain the Watec and a good lens then you will not be disappointed.

I see you’re based in County Kildare Michael; you’re very welcome anytime to take the short trip to county Meath if you want to see the camera system in action.

Clear skies
Mike

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds