K-Tec

12" Dob recommendation

More
12 years 3 months ago #91806 by Damo636
Replied by Damo636 on topic Re: 12" Dob recommendation
Very nice trio of scopes John, the Lightbridge looks lovely. I have one of these incoming early next week.. www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_inf...escope---Deluxe.html
Apparently the optics are the same as the Lightbridge, both made by GSO. Can i ask if yours had thumbscrerws for collimating the primary or screwdriver headed screws?

12" Dob
Ethos 21mm, 13mm
Delos 10mm, 6mm
Pentax XF 8.5mm, XW 7mm
Antares 2" 1.6X Barlow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #91808 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: 12" Dob recommendation
Hi Damo

The scope came with thumbscrews for the primary and these work pretty well. However I made some modifications as soon as I received the scope that make a world of difference

1. Replaced the primary springs with stiffer ones from Bobs Knobs (or Farpoint). This makes a world of difference in collimating the scope and holding colimation and only takes a minute to install.

2. Replaced the secondary screws with Bobs Knobs thumbscrews. Again makes a big difference for collimation in the field

3. Added some Farpoint counterweights to the rear cell. This balances the scope perfectly even with a heavy eyepiece and the altitude break is no longer required

4. Get a Telrad finder

www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=...9&id=91426&Itemid=40

The scope is really good and the images are great, especially the moon. Easy to transport too. You will have lots of fun with the GSO but you may need a few simple mods (cost about 70-80 Euro) to make it a great scope. The focusers (10:1) are pretty decent too.

Cheers
John

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by johnomahony.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #91826 by Damo636
Replied by Damo636 on topic Re: 12" Dob recommendation
Thanks for the info John. I have heard that the GSO primary springs are on the weak side so will look into the replacements along with the Bob's Knobs secondary thumbscrew adjusters. I had a look at the Farpoint counterweight system, nice idea. Already have a Telrad so sorted in that department :)

12" Dob
Ethos 21mm, 13mm
Delos 10mm, 6mm
Pentax XF 8.5mm, XW 7mm
Antares 2" 1.6X Barlow
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Damo636.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #91828 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: 12" Dob recommendation
Hi John,

Nice to hear from you. You got a nice array of scopes in your collection now. If I had read your post before your order, my recommendation would also have included Revelation, but I am not sure you can get them from new lately. Remember the selling frenzy around 4 years ago over here? Fantastic value for the size of the scope versus price. We bought a second hand one (12") and find it fantastic - when we get a chance to use it...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Seanie_Morris. Reason: Spleligns

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #91829 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: 12" Dob recommendation

Seanie_Morris wrote: Hi John,

Nice to hear from you. you got a nice array of scope in your collection now. If I had read your post before your order, my recommendation would also have included Revelation, but I am not sure can you get them from new lately. Remember the selling frenzy around 4 years ago over here? Fantastic value for the size of the scope versus price. We bought a second hand one (12") and find it fantastic - when we get a chance to use it...

Seanie.

Hi Seanie

Are Revelation and GSO the same thing?
I must admit I really like the dobs for sheer convenience and great views. My C11 will be used only for imaging now. The weather has not been that great here either. The last two years have been the wettest on record (ever since I arrived :-( )

Cheers

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by johnomahony.

More
12 years 3 months ago #91831 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: 12" Dob recommendation

johnomahony wrote: The weather has not been that great here either. The last two years have been the wettest on record (ever since I arrived :-( )

So, when you leave (Ireland), you always take the weather with you, only you left some of it behind here! :whistle:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds