K-Tec

First scope with other eye on future photos

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #91296 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: First scope with other eye on future photos

albertw wrote:

RandomPillars wrote: I've heard a good newtonian refractor is much better for viewing the planets in the solar system.

I'm less convinced that the above is true as I look through more scopes. Sure a 10"APO will probably beat the views you'll get from other equipment, but you will pay for it. Paying comparable amounts you will be better off with a reflector (10" newts seem to cost roughly the same as a 4" refractor). The thing with reflectors for planetary viewing is that the optics need to be very well collimated..

I also had the same impression, top end planetary views could only be got with a refractor, I have found this to be not true. The key is top end optics and collimation.
I saw views through what I think was a 8" hinds mirror reflector a number of years back which at the time floored any view through any other scope I had seen up till then. While in Greece at the Mt Parnon starparty, some of the planetary views through some of the reflectors were simply photographic!. The views through my own 20" dob absolutely floors any kind of view I can get through my 12" SCT or 6" MAK.
I've seen through many types and models of scopes, and have found thee best planetary views to be through dob scopes, the bigger the better, this goes conventional wisdom though..

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by dave_lillis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 6 months ago #91302 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Re: First scope with other eye on future photos
Hi Dave,

Not really fair to mention your 20" dob, is it? I'm sure on a good seeing night, you can see the screws on new horizons!!!

Yeah, I've taken the advice regarding refractors and planetary views. After all, yeee all know better than I.

Where can I get a 20" dob for €427.38, broken playstation 2 and a bottle of Heineken?

Thanks for the post

More
12 years 6 months ago #91306 by dmcdona
Any games with the PS2? And is the Heineken still in date?

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 6 months ago #91346 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Re: First scope with other eye on future photos

dmcdona wrote: Any games with the PS2? And is the Heineken still in date?

Haha,

Sorry man. Games are in that great arcade in the sky and the heineken is in my ever expanding belly.

I've to go back to reality now, and look for a "mortal" scope.

More
12 years 5 months ago #91357 by diarmaidol
Replied by diarmaidol on topic Re: First scope with other eye on future photos
I'm considering getting a DOB for XMAS, and have been reading the topic which would be leading me to a 8" GSO.

But I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of Orion Optics scopes? There is a premium on cost but I like the idea of their Dob mount. Wide-Screen in the uk seem to be doing the 8" orion optics for reasonable money.

At the moment I'm thinking 8" deluxe or 10" offer for www.teleskop-express.de both seem to be about the same price of 450EUR...

Is it a straight forward decision just get the GSO???

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 5 months ago #91369 by RandomPillars

diarmaidol wrote: I'm considering getting a DOB for XMAS, and have been reading the topic which would be leading me to a 8" GSO.

But I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of Orion Optics scopes? There is a premium on cost but I like the idea of their Dob mount. Wide-Screen in the uk seem to be doing the 8" orion optics for reasonable money.

At the moment I'm thinking 8" deluxe or 10" offer for www.teleskop-express.de both seem to be about the same price of 450EUR...

Is it a straight forward decision just get the GSO???

Sorry man. Shouldn't give you an opinion as I don't know enough.... Yet.

But, GSO looks good. Maybe set up a new thread and the good folk here will give you an informed response.

Happy hunting

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds