K-Tec

Illuminated reticle crosshair eyepiece suggestions?

• martinus
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 5 months ago #91209 by martinus
Hi guys. My current location doesn't allow me to see the pole star so I'm stuck with setting the mount up using a digital level and a compass. I've had moderate luck in the past with tracking but I really want to get longer exposures.

As such, I've done a lot of reading on drift alignment. A key piece of kit is the eyepiece so I was wondering if any of you could suggest good illuminated, cross-hair reticle eyepieces for the job?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #91225 by Nerro
Wouldn't a good guider solve your problem?I am in a market for one myself and read that you have to do a rough alligment to pole star and the guider does all the work for you.
As at the moment I can only achieve a 3min unguidet shot with my neq6 and that's if I get 100% pole alligment...and it takes quite a while to get it.

• martinus
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 5 months ago #91230 by martinus
From what I've read a guider isn't really aimed at making gross corrections. The point of a guider is to offset some of the periodic error innate to the mount. As such, a guider seems to need a moderately accurate polar alignment to do its job.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken in this, there are a lot of opinions on the matter. :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #91232 by Nerro
Well i am after the LVI smartguider 2.At least this review sold it to me :
stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-re...lvi-smartguider.html
The fella claims that he done just rough polar alligment with 1 star alligment and got good results...which will save time, and i read loads more happy stories about this product.The down side is that it costs around 500e new,and that kind of money i do not have.So trying to hunt it down second hand which is a real pain as the product is new....I am hoping that santa will be genorous this year :P
I presume older generation guiders require good polar alligment but i cant comment on that as i have used one before.

More
12 years 5 months ago #91234 by calchas
without good polar alignment you will still get image rotation with longer exposures, guided or not.
I use the celestron crosshair 10mm eye-piece. Just a 2 pairs of parellel lines orthoganal to eachother. It serves me very well when I get the chance to set-up around the weather.

Hope that helps some
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinus

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds