K-Tec

Cleaning an SCT primary mirror

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #92791 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Cleaning an SCT primary mirror

martinus wrote: (This thread needs to come with a massive warning lest some newbie take it all as great advice. ;) )

you're absolutely right, it's all very unsafe.
Make sure you wear a protective mask so you dont inhale the paint fumes while spraying. :smashpc:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by dave_lillis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #92792 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Cleaning an SCT primary mirror
Personally, my favourite for scratches on mirrors is Dior Silver Pearl Nail Polish - no fumes, no overspray and you can remove it later with neat acetone. MaxFactor is a bit cheaper but doesn't flow as well. One final advantage is that it you put it on a bit thick, a light rub with 300 emery paper brings it up a treat.

For scratches on lenses or corrector plates, just get the clear version. Bingo!

One final top tip - if you're mirror finally succombs and is no longer usable, don't throw it away - use it as a shaving mirror. As an added plus for SCT's, pop a halogen bulb into the central hole and hey presto - you zits will stick out a mile and will be much easier to squeeze. Great if you have teenagers.

More
12 years 1 month ago #92793 by PaulWalsh
Replied by PaulWalsh on topic Re: Cleaning an SCT primary mirror

dmcdona wrote: Personally, my favourite for scratches on mirrors is Dior Silver Pearl Nail Polish - no fumes, no overspray and you can remove it later with neat acetone. MaxFactor is a bit cheaper but doesn't flow as well. One final advantage is that it you put it on a bit thick, a light rub with 300 emery paper brings it up a treat.

For scratches on lenses or corrector plates, just get the clear version. Bingo!

One final top tip - if you're mirror finally succombs and is no longer usable, don't throw it away - use it as a shaving mirror. As an added plus for SCT's, pop a halogen bulb into the central hole and hey presto - you zits will stick out a mile and will be much easier to squeeze. Great if you have teenagers.

I have to say this is my favourite "tip" :rock: read it in an email and had to come on to giggle some more.

• phoenix
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
12 years 1 month ago #92794 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Cleaning an SCT primary mirror
Just reading over this thread again and without even going outside you would know that we have no clear skies.

Stir crazies :woohoo:

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds