K-Tec

Constructing a Dobsonian telescope at home.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #96318 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Constructing a Dobsonian telescope at home.
I bought a mirror set from Telescope Service in Germany.
www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php
At the time, they had a 16" primary + secondary + spider for sale for about €1,100 IIRC.
It would be worth sending them an email and see if they still sell the 16" mirror sets.

As for the case, I got that custom made by a company called Consort Cases in Kilkenny.
Can't remember for sure how much it cost - think it was in the region of a little under €100.
www.consortcases.ie/
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by michaeloconnell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tianman
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
11 years 3 months ago #96331 by Tianman
Wow, they certainly don't come cheap. Although a 16" primary, secondary and spider for 1,100 it was a steal. Looks like I'll definitely be making my own though. I'm having a lot of trouble finding somewhere in Ireland that supplies glass thicker than 19mm.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #96346 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Constructing a Dobsonian telescope at home.
I wouldn't expect that you could buy such a thing in this country.
The cost of optics has fallen significantly in recent years thanks to the Chinese, making mirror gringing a dying art.
Perhaps give these people an e-mail:
www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/telescope3.htm
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by michaeloconnell.

More
11 years 3 months ago #96354 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: Constructing a Dobsonian telescope at home.
Hi Tianman, might be worth giving Oldham Optics a shout as well. Their prices are high on their website but I picked up a used slower 12.5" from them for £400 a few years ago - F6. Though I guess at 16" the scope would be long! The prices quoted on the site are for 1/10 λ but they do quote for 1/4 λ on request.

www.oldham-optical.co.uk/

Surprisingly the part I found hardest to source when building was aluminium tubing - though I think that should be easier now.

Trevor

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #96357 by cathalferris
Replied by cathalferris on topic Re: Constructing a Dobsonian telescope at home.
Advice I've seen a number of times regarding grinding your own:
If you have never ground a mirror before and want to grind a larger mirror, grind a 6" or 8" mirror before starting the bigger mirror. The things that you learn with the smaller mirror will mean that the total time for the two mirrors will be less than if you were to start with the bigger mirror and making the same mistakes on the larger scale.

In general at the moment, it will be much cheaper to purchase finished optics than it would to grind a mirror of this size, especially when taking the cost of your own time and labour into account. It's only with larger mirrors that it becomes cost effective these days to grind your own, but the difficulties of grinding by hand are that much more difficult with the bigger blanks.
If being able to say that you made the mirror yourself is important then by all means go ahead and grind. Personally, I'd take a long and detailed look at sourcing the completed optics and then building the dob as per Kreige's bible and other links for books here:
www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Number/5252285

Texerau's telescope building book has got a very good section on mirror grinding and testing, and is still current for that 50 years later.

(and I wish I had the time to do this myself..)
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by cathalferris. Reason: Texerau's book reference / download

More
11 years 3 months ago #96373 by martinus
It might also be worth keeping an eye on astro buy & sell as I've seen a couple of examples of used optics for sale.

Perhaps a wanted advert?

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds