K-Tec

Ireland versus UK versus US prices (Celestron)

More
20 years 5 months ago #1003 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Ireland versus UK versus US prices (Celestron)
Has this price comparison been adjusted or normalized to account for taxes and shipping?

Perhaps include a second amount to account for problems, i.e. if the scope needs to returned because it's faulty. Maybe this amount could be set at 1/10 the cost of shipping (off the top of my head). This 1/10 would be an assumption that 1 in 10 scopes have a problem (I'm sure it's way lower then that!). I would just like to see something more realistic in these comparisons.

Also, there are some web sites that will take an order for a company that won't deliver international. They will order the goods locally, have them deliver locally and then ship them on internationally.

Here's one: www.toship.com/

Can't vouch for them though...

- John

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1004 by albertw

Has this price comparison been adjusted or normalized to account for taxes and shipping?

Perhaps include a second amount to account for problems, i.e. if the scope needs to returned because it's faulty. Maybe this amount could be set at 1/10 the cost of shipping (off the top of my head). This 1/10 would be an assumption that 1 in 10 scopes have a problem (I'm sure it's way lower then that!). I would just like to see something more realistic in these comparisons.

Some shops, and OPT is one, offer a service to check the scope in shop. Basically you pay them $150 and they put the scope together check the optics and make sure it works. This should eliminate most of the out of the box problems. After that the most likley things to fail are electronics, which can be shipped back relativly cheaply.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 5 months ago #1005 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: Ireland versus UK versus US prices (Celestron)

Some shops, and OPT is one, offer a service to check the scope in shop. Basically you pay them $150 and they put the scope together check the optics and make sure it works. This should eliminate most of the out of the box problems. After that the most likley things to fail are electronics, which can be shipped back relativly cheaply.

Cheers,
~Al

Of course, you keeping adding on these not insignificant charges (shipping, insurance, import duty, $150 for in-shop checking, etc.), and it won't take you long to get back up to the Irish (or at least the UK) price!

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

• jhonan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
20 years 5 months ago #1006 by jhonan

Of course, you keeping adding on these not insignificant charges (shipping, insurance, import duty, $150 for in-shop checking, etc.), and it won't take you long to get back up to the Irish (or at least the UK) price!

Nexstar 11GPS
Base price (US) €2,625.00
Scope checking charge €150.00
Shipping (UPS COD) €400.00
Insurance €100.00
SubTotal €3,275.00
Customs duty (4.2%) €137.55
VAT (21%) €716.64
Clearance charge €20.00
SubTotal €4,149.19
+10% 'Problem Insurance' €414.92
Grand Total €4,564.10

So, we're now slightly over the UK price (€4,325) - and that's including things like the '10% problem insurance' that was suggested here. But - we're still €2,164 short of the Irish price :!: . Can anyone suggest anything else I can add in to the calculation to bring it up to the correct price? - I'm obviously missing something. How about a 20% "You-should-have-bought-it-from-A&S surcharge" ? :P Come on lads! - We need to find that missing 47% from somewhere! :lol:

I have taken the import duty at 4.2% as this applies to TARIC Code 9005800000 - Binoculars, monoculars, other optical telescopes, and mountings therefor; other astronomical instruments and mountings therefor, but not including instruments for radio-astronomy Exchange rates as at today. Delivery charge of €400 is as quoted by 'sight and sound' (US supplier) I've added in €100 shipping insurance for good measure (although this is probably included by UPS as part of the delivery charge) and I've thrown in 20 euro airport clearance charge as well (not sure how much this actually is)

Of course, (I'll state this again) - Suppliers outside of Ireland may not ship certain products to Ireland due to dealership restrictions.

John.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1007 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Ireland versus UK versus US prices (Celestron)

Come on lads! - We need to find that missing 47% from somewhere! :lol:

That would be the "dark matter" effect!

:lol:

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1008 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic OPT
Hi,

I got this back from OPT ragarding their shipping. I asked as an example what the shipping of a C9 1/4 would be.

Cheers,
~Al

Original Message
Subject: International shipping quote
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:26:01 -0800
Reply-To: internetsales AT optcorp.com

Hello Albert,

Thank you for inquiring with OPT. Yes, we can ship just about anything except for Meade products internationally.

We can use quite a few different options for shipping outside the US. The main options we use for large packages are USPS and Airborne Express. We much prefer Airborne as we have hardly ever had a problem with them, they get there faster, and they treat the telescope like it is supposed to be treated. The downside is that they are more expensive than USPS.

Shipping a C9.25 to Ireland will vary based on if you mean a complete system (with the equatorial mount, counterweights, etc) or just an optical tube assembly. A C9.25 complete system via USPS will cost approximately $350-400 to ship to Ireland. Airborne Express would cost somewhere in the $400 range.

Shipping the optical tube only would be significantly less. USPS would be in the $120-150 range for USPS and the $175 range for Airborne Express. These values are not exact, but should be relatively close estimates.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything else we can help with. Thanks!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds