K-Tec

Several long-term missions (Voyager, Ulysses) face shutdown

More
19 years 1 month ago #10084 by Bill_H
I blame the Portugese. If they hadn't let that Mr Columbus go galavanting across the sea, there might never have been a USA for Mr Bush to set up his kingdom of the world!

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10086 by michaeloconnell

Even if they were to cut back the analysis, at least keep listening and recording the data!

Stick it online, let researchers access and process the raw data.

It will be a long time before we can ever attempt a project like this again, and the cost will be staggering.

Data that we cant get otherwise regarding the limits of the solar systems and possibly interstallar space is priceless, in fact its free, and it would be a very sad reflection on an admistration to simply not pay a relativly small sum, relative to war budget, to just listen.

Cheers,
~Al

I agree completely. The only issue I have with the projects in iteir current state is the cost. I wonder how much of that is used to pay for time on the 3 main radio dishes? As you said, if they could simply record the data and let it to the public to actually process it. Surely some sort of group could be formed between NASA and interested private parties (universities etc) which could transfer over the processing procedures and technical expertise. Would certainly provide many interesting post-grad research oppurtunities.
I'm not sure we can blame Bush for all the issues going on in NASA. I know many think his idea of suddenly going back to the Moon and Mars may seem idiotic. However, there are massive internal political issues at stake within the US since China entered the space race. And as we all know, politicans in general will go for something if it helps there political aims. Bush certainly isn't unique in this.
Also, NASA seems to suffer from alot of internal squabbling. It can't seem to find what direction it wants to take on. This has been going on for many years now, certainly well before Bush came to power.

Clear skies,

More
19 years 1 month ago #10090 by dave_lillis
When will either of the voyagers truly leave the solarsystem ???

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 1 month ago #10096 by Astro1996
Its estimated that Voyager 1 will hopefully reach termination shock sometime this year and the heliopause in or around 2017/2018

You stole my stars springfield!!

No one wrote any poems about stupid orange barf glow...

More
19 years 1 month ago #10114 by Seanie_Morris

if they could simply record the data and let it to the public to actually process it. Surely some sort of group could be formed between NASA and interested private parties (universities etc) which could transfer over the processing procedures and technical expertise. Would certainly provide many interesting post-grad research oppurtunities.

Maybe something like the SETI at home project, where your screensaver on your computer is the programme running, analyzing data...

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds