• Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 10 months ago #47948 by albertw
APOD ISS was created by albertw
Stunning image on APOD today of the shuttle and the ISS

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

This remarkable image of the space shuttle orbiter Atlantis docked with the International Space Station (ISS) was taken at a range of 190 nautical miles. To record the fast moving pair, last week astronomers at Clay Center Observatory, near Boston, Massachusetts, planet Earth, used a satellite tracking system and 25-inch diameter telescope in combination with a digital video camera. In the sharp picture, Atlantis is below and left of center. The aft view shows three main engines just below its vertical tail glinting in the sunlight.

What stuck me after seeing the detail is that it must have been feasible to image Columbia from the ground. At least this shows that it's an option for examining craft in future.

And Mr. Lillis, now that you have your obsession scope we'll be expecting similar images from you :lol:

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #47949 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: APOD ISS
WOW ... amazing to think that was taken from earth!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 10 months ago #47950 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: APOD ISS
:shock: :shock:

More
16 years 10 months ago #47951 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: APOD ISS

What stuck me after seeing the detail is that it must have been feasible to image Columbia from the ground. At least this shows that it's an option for examining craft in future.

I believe NASA did receive offers from various organisations to image Columbia with telescopes and satellites but, they knew better...

Michael.

More
16 years 10 months ago #47955 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: APOD ISS
I remember an interview Ron Dantowitz did with Sky and Telescope a good few years ago when he was probably one of a handful of people developing satellite imaging techniques with off-the-shelf equipment. He commented that he had previously had a "courtesy" visit from government personnel VERY interested in what he achieved. They were astonished that Joe Public could image orbiting satellites with cheap gear whereas they had spent zillions of dollars to do the same :)

I can dig out the interview if anyone is interested.

John

More
16 years 10 months ago #47957 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: APOD ISS

And Mr. Lillis, now that you have your obsession scope we'll be expecting similar images from you :lol:

What I would like to know from Mr Lillis is what he has been doing all this time with his scope? :lol:

Instead of congratulating Dave for such an incredible photo,, we are marvelling over the effort by Ron.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds