K-Tec

APOD ISS

More
16 years 10 months ago #47958 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: APOD ISS

I can dig out the interview if anyone is interested.

John, I remember the article very well. I think a bunch of S&T editors paid him a visit and things took off from there (for the article).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #47970 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: APOD ISS

What stuck me after seeing the detail is that it must have been feasible to image Columbia from the ground. At least this shows that it's an option for examining craft in future.

I believe NASA did receive offers from various organisations to image Columbia with telescopes and satellites but, they knew better...

Michael.

During Columbia's ill-fated mission in 2003, there were some photos taken (but not as if they were investigating) by the military ground-based observation sites. The shuttle was clearly visible, bay doors open, payload visible and all.

Extreme imaging would of course be needed for examining orbiting craft, but nothing beats a spacewalk around the craft up there in zero-g - just a pity they learned too late at the time. :(

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 10 months ago #47979 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: APOD ISS

And Mr. Lillis, now that you have your obsession scope we'll be expecting similar images from you :lol:

What I would like to know from Mr Lillis is what he has been doing all this time with his scope? :lol:

Anthony, the week during the ISS & Shuttle mission there was plans for Dave & I and (and another soul!) to try and
have a go catching the pair with Daves' obsessionator.
(yes 6 hands would have been required!)
But the weather got nasty.

The phone call went something like...

''Dave, Dave, ahh pleeeease go on Dave, a go on Dave, go on, go on, go on , GO ON!''

:D

He is being rather quite of late...
I wonder what he's planing...!?!?

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 10 months ago #48022 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: APOD ISS
There'll always be another ISS flyover Frank, although I'm note sure when the shuttle will be with it. I wouldn't have held alot of hope for success that evening if it had been clear, then again all we would have needed is one frame.

BTW, that pic is amazing, its says the Clay Center Observatory, that's not Caly Sherrod, is it ? if it is then I'm not surprised.

The image is similar (vertical flip) in shape to what I got a few weeks back albeit not anything near as clear, I totally under exposed the image.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 10 months ago #48027 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: APOD ISS

BTW, that pic is amazing, its says the Clay Center Observatory, that's not Caly Sherrod, is it ? if it is then I'm not surprised.

No, different. Seems one hell of an outreach/education program though:

Operated by Dexter and Southfield Schools [somewhere near Boston], the Clay Center for Science and Technology is a state-of-the-art astronomical observatory and learning center. In addition to the observatory's seven research-grade telescopes, this five story building contains sophisticated computer and science laboratories, a multi-media lecture hall, classrooms, dining, and meeting spaces, and a solar energy roof deck.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds