• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 8 months ago #101446 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Laptop or desktop
Thanks Michael

I will probably add an SSD myself. It would be cheaper to get a Samsung SSD, clone it and use the high capacity drive that came with the PC for data storage using the SSD for the OS and programs. That could be done later. I would only need 120 GB at most (100 euro). The Dell XPS 8700 comes with 12GB RAM and a 2TB disk drive for 938 Euro
I have had a few HP machines in the past, two laptops and a desktop-not very reliable. I wouldn't touch an HP laptop-desktops may be better though. Toshiba, ASUS, Samsung or Sony for laptops.
Anyone experience with the Dell XPS?

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
The following user(s) said Thank You: manic_dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #101447 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Laptop or desktop
John,

If money was not *really* an issue, I'd recommend building a PC. It's what I have done, with my current workhorse still 10 years old and performing as reliably and almost as hard as the new 64bit systems out there. It does help to know a little about what you're doing too, but done right, you won't be spending money as early into the future as you might when buying a complete desktop PC 'off the shelf'.

Also, in terms of software, Adobe Photoshop CS2 is free, I am told. But I have a legal copy of it that can be installed on another machine anyway. It's fast and has all the tricks you need for astrophotography processing. I even run it on my laptop with no problems too (granted, that is a 64 bit machine, but CS2 still needs a lot of resources). If you need a copy, let me know.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnomahony

More
9 years 8 months ago #101449 by manic_dave
Replied by manic_dave on topic Laptop or desktop
John

Feel your pain on the HP laptop. utter rubbish! Fan running at 100% all of the time.
Stay away from AMD chipsets as most of the new cameras like ZWO and QHY require a firmware update to be used with them. this update will slow the camera right down.

For my money, and Im about to buy one my self, you want at least an i5 Core processor and 8g of ram.
Windows 8 is extremely annoying but runs 64bit, which poops all over a 32bit system no matter what chip or ram you have. A good graphics card is a must, don't get one that's on the board. they are too slow. You wont get change from 450 quid for a set up like that.

As for Photoshop, I got that CC package you talk about. 12 euros I pay for Lightroom % CC 2014 and Bridge, its an amazing piece of kit. I have links to some free Lightroom actions and brushes for astronomy if you want them, drop me an email.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnomahony

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 8 months ago #101451 by johnomahony
Thanks Seanie / Dave

Good advice and thanks for the software offer.

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #101845 by johnomahony
Well I pressed the button and ordered a desktop from Dell. I looked into building my own PC but I would have been hard pressed to buy all the components for the cost of a fully packaged Dell with warranty. It seemed to have very good reviews and better value that a comparable laptop

Quadcore I7
16 GB of RAM
2TB 7200rpm hard drive with 32GB SSD cache
2GB dedicated graphics card

I had looked at getting one with an SSD drive but I can add that myself for less cash and I only need 128GB for the operating system. I can upgrade the RAM to 32GB if needed (unlikely)
Hopefully Photoshop CC will run without issues now !

Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by johnomahony.

More
9 years 7 months ago #101847 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Laptop or desktop
Sounds good.

Windows 8 I presume?

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds