K-Tec

Podcasts of Interest to Astronomers

More
18 years 9 months ago #13575 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Podcasts of Interest to Astronomers
I installed iTunes yesterday, and I'm impressed.

I had thought it was no good unless you had an ipod. But it works nicely as a standalone application.

Apart from the podcast directory piece, it also stores/sorts existing music mp3s on your pc.

It has a direct link to the apple music store. Which isn't actually a bad thing! - For example, if you play one of your mp3s in itunes, it lets you click on a link to view the album it's from - And then offers you a 30 second preview of all the other tunes on that album, and you can easily navigate up the hierarchy to other albums by the same artist. (And one-click purchase of singles for 99c)

And then there's the internet radio section, which lets you tune in to individual feeds, all nicely categorised.

Not a bad interface either.

[edit]Broadband is recommended for this!....[/edit]

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #14819 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Podcasts of Interest to Astronomers
Don't know how I missed/forgot this post... since I started another thread i may as well stick it here...

Recently I've been delving deep into the world of Podcasting, and I've managed to dig up a few on astronomy.

What's a Podcast for the unintiated? A podcast is essentially a radio program that you can download. But even better, you can subscribe to a show so that when the latest show is available it is automatically downloaded (iTunes is a great way to find, subscribe and manage podcasts). They are generally in MP3 format so they are pretty versatile.

Anyway, they are a good way to keep up to date, and here's a couple I've found...
www.slackerastronomy.org -good astronomy with a smile
www.universetoday.com - straight forward astronomy with some interesting interviews.

Subscribe (it's free) and have a listen, I'm sure you'll find it interesting. The whole thing is addictive- I've far too many hours of podcasting to get through.
Who knows... maybe someone will be inspired to start an Irish podcast))))
If you've found a good Podcast, let me know.

Very Happy

Dave P

IFAS web team

More
18 years 8 months ago #14820 by dpower
And just to keep it up to date...

Podcasting would be ideally suited to audio tours of the night sky.

now that is a great idea. Tied in with a pdf of the sky on view for the month or just with a planisphere it's a brilliant way of introducing the night sky. Fantastic suggestion Trevor.

I agree, it's a brilliant idea!!! :) :)

IFAS web team

More
18 years 8 months ago #14823 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Podcasts of Interest to Astronomers
Anybody up for a trial run.....who has a face for radio :wink: :wink:

Cheers
Trevor

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #14825 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Podcasts of Interest to Astronomers

Anybody up for a trial run.....who has a face for radio :wink: :wink:

The problem with hosting a podcast is that multimedia content like pod casts take up LOADS of bandwidth, the Observing challenges nearly killed us, hosting a pod cast on our current hosting would destroy us!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 8 months ago #14827 by dpower
I don't mind hosting a test run, we'll see how it goes))) I can also use the necessary audio/web tech. now if I only knew something about astonomy... :D

IFAS web team

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds