• JohnONeill
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 6 months ago #34080 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Some Points
Hi,
Bart, its not so much a review, as just points (like Steve's liking of the Megastar print panels).

Some points I have come across with regards user interface:
1. Some right-click menus do not live up to their name as context menus
2. Various long-winded menus to go to e.g. a Messier, NGC object or Asteroid.
3. Lack of hot-keys to turn off "Constellation Lines" (although is more important in "Planetarium" Prgrams).

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34085 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Comparison of Star Charting Software
I only use Xephem. www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/

It is a program for unix systems, though I have got it running on windows also. As with many unix programs it is very functional but not very intuitive.

As SunCrazy pointed out Aladin is also very good. For doing research work, comparing databases and images etc. its the best I've come across, again I was recommended it by the university. It's of limited use as a planetarium/ephemeris program though.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 6 months ago #34087 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Some Points

Hi,
Bart, its not so much a review, as just points (like Steve's liking of the Megastar print panels).

Some points I have come across with regards user interface:
1. Some right-click menus do not live up to their name as context menus
2. Various long-winded menus to go to e.g. a Messier, NGC object or Asteroid.
3. Lack of hot-keys to turn off "Constellation Lines" (although is more important in "Planetarium" Prgrams).

John

OK, in that case:

Equinox (Mac OS X only):
==================

The Good:
- You get a great view of things because all your panels go semi-transparent when you're not using them.
- You can very quickly get info on any object by just clicking on it and there is a lot of info there
- You can move around by just grabbing hold of the sky or by moving a circular dial that always shows where you are looking in the sky (N, S, E, W) and moving it to where you want to be.
- There are also nice sliders for moving your altitude and your field of view

The Bad:
- You have to get used to a lot of key combinations while clicking. Not much happens when you right click. Example: to get info just click, to move the screen shift+click, to centre what you clicked on cmd+shift+click. So see what you would ecpect to see in the eyepiece in a little popup cmd+click. To measure angular separation option+click then drag. These are all very powerful features and once you get used to them very easy but not at all intuative!
- You can't Zoom by selecting a region. You zoom by centering what you want and then moving the zoom slider.
- The scroll-wheel does not zoom like it would on most skymapping software but pointlessly scrolls down.

KStars (Linux & Max OS X):
==================

The Good:
- a very nice nightvision mode
- very easy to navigate around. Click and drag to move the sky and scrollwheel to zoom in and out.
- Does everything you would expect pretty much in the way you expect

The Bad:
- IT doesn't do anything special or anything particularly advanced. It just draws maps of the sky and lets you zoom around and see what's what. No special features you won't see elsewhere, no neat little tricks, just simple and to the point and very intuative
- Has too few star names in my opinion.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• JohnONeill
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 6 months ago #34159 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic XEphem etc
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

Al. I have used XEphem. Actually the MS Windows version, but now the license has expired, not great for a fairly expensive program.

I know there a free Unix source code, but it does not have the large databases.

Bart. I will digest your experiences

John

More
17 years 6 months ago #34164 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: XEphem etc

I know there a free Unix source code, but it does not have the large databases.

The HGSC is free via internet lookup.
You can download the USNO SA catalogue for free and use that with it also.
The proper motion catalogues are the one thing that I might use that I'd have to pay for.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 5 months ago #36528 by dustyxx
Replied by dustyxx on topic Xephem etc
I see your point about Xepem being a bit expensive , however you can download the main program for free and the necessary additional files can also be downloaded from the University of Mainz ftp site in Germany. the big databases such as Tycho 2 and ppm.xe are also available for download at various sites , just google it. I have been using Xephem for about 10 years and have had many e-mail contacts with Elwood Downey the author , I like it so much that I actually offered to buy the cd rom set just to support him even though I have virtually the the whole public domain installation, he said he couldn't be bothered worrying about exchange rates etc for a UK cheque.
As regards the windows software I think I have just about all of it, Skymap always leads the field , it's the main contender against Xepem for accuracy.
Cartes du Ciel is another good option, freely downloadable and also given free with some Meade gear . I'm pleased to tell you that I wrote The Irish Language configuration file for this, it's now very slightly out of date and needs a very small re-write. Perhaps surprisingly for some , for educational purposes I strongly recommend
Redshift, version 5 is now available, it does great simulations of phenomena such as eclipses and "dangerous" asteroid and comet orbits etc. PD

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds