K-Tec

ISA Slot

More
17 years 6 months ago #34272 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: ISA Slot
Dave,

Open it up. There should be an ISA slot in a box that age. ISA slots are usually white and they are longer than the PCI slots. You usually find them on the further side from the power supply.

Failing this - I'm fairly sure that you can get PCI riser cards that have ISA slots on them. I'll see if I can find one for you online.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34273 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: ISA Slot

Thanks folks. Try this for size - let me know if this is a go-er.

I have a HP PC which has served me well for about 5 years. I think it has an ISA slot. If it does, I could upgrade to a new box and put the old box next to the mount and operate it from the new PC (which is what I do with laptop currently). I've been considering this for a good while now.

Gosh, I remember 5.25 floppies...

Dave

It would work but should that PC then die you're in a world of trouble becausae you've forked out for an obsolete piece of hardware that you'll be hard-pushed to get into another machine. Also, old machines really don't take well to damp (neither do new ones really) so if you're going to put that 5 year old machine outside expect it to fail within the next year or two at the very most.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 6 months ago #34275 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: ISA Slot
ISA slots were black ,not white.
The oldest 8-bit connectors were were 31 "pins" long.
The "newer"16 bit ones had two connectors,the second connector was 18 pins long.

To save you a lot of bother bring your ISA stuff to the recycle bin and say a fond farewell to a dinosaur.

Peter.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 6 months ago #34282 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: ISA Slot
True to form Peter :roll: But at least you're consistent :D

I think the ISA slots I remember where white, but I could be visualising the PMCIA slots. However, I'm sure the PC I have has an ISA slot.

Now, as for leaving it outside... Are there any circimtances in which that could work? If I built a roomy box (for ventilation) and shoved in a load of silica gel packets, would that be a runner?

If its a bit dodgy, perhaps I should avoid buying the imager. No harm - I'd save a few quid but I don't want a white elephant either :D

Thanks for all the advice by the way!

Dave

More
17 years 6 months ago #34285 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: ISA Slot

I think the ISA slots I remember where white, but I could be visualising the PMCIA slots. However, I'm sure the PC I have has an ISA slot.

PCI is white, ISA is black.

Now, as for leaving it outside... Are there any circimtances in which that could work? If I built a roomy box (for ventilation) and shoved in a load of silica gel packets, would that be a runner?

MAYBE, but given Irish conditions I'd be very dubious. Circuit boards and moisture do not mix. Even leaving a PC out in a shed is a death penalty for it.

If its a bit dodgy, perhaps I should avoid buying the imager. No harm - I'd save a few quid but I don't want a white elephant either :D

If this is something you're about to buy then it really is a white elephant. 5 years ago it would have been a dodgey purchase, not it's just a plain bad idea. Were anyone to call in to me here in work and ask me for my proffesional opinion on this it would be very simple and very blunt, don't do it. This tech was already legacy 5 years ago, now it's obsolete boardering on historic.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 6 months ago #34289 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ISA Slot

PCI is white, ISA is black.

Depends on the motherboard manufacturer, there is no de facto on that. 3 of my computers have black PCI's AND ISA.

Btw Dave, PCMCIA is laptop/notebook architecture. A far more scaled down rendition of PCI.

S.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds