K-Tec

seti@home

More
19 years 9 months ago #3771 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: seti@home

here we go again, I'm getting an unknown fatal error: 1 anyone got any ideas?

sorry posted in wrong thread :oops:

was getting the same error message last night when i was trying to upload a work unit with seti classic after it had finished. no ideas though unless it was very busy for them.
stephen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6327 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: seti@home
FINALLY got this installed on my Linux box!

Al, how woudl you advise I run it? I don't really want it to take all available CPU cycles, its running on a laptop that get rather hot rather easily so I don't want it running at 100% CPU all the time. Is there any way I can throttle it easily?

Thanks,

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 4 months ago #6331 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: seti@home

Al, how woudl you advise I run it? I don't really want it to take all available CPU cycles, its running on a laptop that get rather hot rather easily so I don't want it running at 100% CPU all the time. Is there any way I can throttle it easily?

Thanks,

Bart.

bart,
not being an expert but could you not use a combination of setting your preferences on the website and using the nice command under linux to set it's prioirity in linux. i have only run this version under windows as my hd with which i was dual booting to linux died and i have to replace it.
stephen.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6334 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: seti@home
Al - the previous link you gave is now 'not found' - is there still an IFAS team?

Cheers

Dave

More
19 years 4 months ago #6346 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: seti@home

Thanks,

Bart.

bart,
not being an expert but could you not use a combination of setting your preferences on the website and using the nice command under linux to set it's prioirity in linux. i have only run this version under windows as my hd with which i was dual booting to linux died and i have to replace it.
stephen.

Indeed, but my question was "how do I set a linux command to not take all the available resources?". I know its possible but I don't know how!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 4 months ago #6348 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: seti@home

Al - the previous link you gave is now 'not found' - is there still an IFAS team?

No idea...

I've pretty much given up on the whole boinc project. I had sent back some code to make the solaris port work, but didnt receve a response, and my experience with the linux client has been pretty dismal also. So I havent put any more time into it.

Also I notice that the seti at home folks are not pushing users to boinc so I suspect that they dont think its ready yet either.

If you do get the boic client to work, consider using Einstein@home insead of seti. Its looking for gravity waves.

Bart, all settings are now stored on the project servers, there should be an option there to say how nice you want the client to run. Though you could always just leave the settings on the project to max and renice the processes on the box. Careful on multiprocessor boxes though, results vary.

Cheers,
~Al (using cygwin and solaris now because linux is really starting to piss me off!)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds