K-Tec

USB-Ethernet extenders

More
17 years 3 months ago #39125 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: USB-Ethernet extenders
Were the USB extender to be something cheap like 200 quid it would be a no-brainer but for a grand it's just bad value for money. I mean, you could get a nice shinny MacBook for that same money!

As for the wireless idea, be ware, wireless networks need to be secured and that's not as easy as you might think. This is not so much the case if you live out the country but for Dave living in Celbridge it would be important.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #39130 by jmcc5
Replied by jmcc5 on topic Re: USB-Ethernet extenders
Not being a techie either, I was talking to someone in the Cork club and he told me that if you can get your hands on USB 1 cable (all USB cable today is Ver2) that the length required can be as long as you need it to be and does not affect the running of the cable. The only other item you would need is an adapter for the USB 1 cable to fit the port on the PC (these are all USB2 compatible). I asked him because I also would be looking at a minium of 25ft from inside to outside.

Joanna

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

More
17 years 3 months ago #39137 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: USB-Ethernet extenders

Not being a techie either, I was talking to someone in the Cork club and he told me that if you can get your hands on USB 1 cable (all USB cable today is Ver2) that the length required can be as long as you need it to be and does not affect the running of the cable. The only other item you would need is an adapter for the USB 1 cable to fit the port on the PC (these are all USB2 compatible). I asked him because I also would be looking at a minium of 25ft from inside to outside.

Joanna

Hi Joanna,

USB is only reliable/rated up to 5m. After that you need to use a repeater/booster to *guarantee* a good signal. For timing critical apps you might run into data drop-out problems with cables longer than 5m un-boosted. That said, you can probably go much further than 5m without any noticable degredation. Depends on what you are willing to put up with.

Phil.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds