K-Tec

Scary news for anyone wanting to image using Vista

More
17 years 2 months ago #41102 by dave_lillis
I'd bet the OS buffs are already out trying to crack this DRM madness, give it a few months, I'll be damned if I'm gonna get a 128+ video card and then have to upgrade the monitor just for Vista.
XP pro does a great job for me, MS can push vista all they want, I know of many computers still running 2000/NT and even 98 and they can still get updates over the web, so I think it will be many many years before I'll have to upgrade to vista. For the first time ever, this is one new MS OS I will not be pursuing.

As for the Toucam drivers, what can you say, maybe someone out there will come up with a driver, it could prove very profitable for them.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #41285 by dave_lillis
My brother actually bought vista over the weekend (mad), it has fine graphics on it, it looks very well, but you do need a damn fast machine to get it working perfectly.
He kept his XP installation on a different drive so he was able to compare running games like Quake4 with it and XP and it runs perfectly on XP with the highest graphics mode, it doesnt run cleanly on even the lowest graphic settings on vista, Vista seems to be using ALOT of resources just sitting there doing nothing. So high end graphic users and gamers beware!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 2 months ago #41300 by voyager

My brother actually bought vista over the weekend (mad), it has fine graphics on it, it looks very well, but you do need a damn fast machine to get it working perfectly.
He kept his XP installation on a different drive so he was able to compare running games like Quake4 with it and XP and it runs perfectly on XP with the highest graphics mode, it doesnt run cleanly on even the lowest graphic settings on vista, Vista seems to be using ALOT of resources just sitting there doing nothing. So high end graphic users and gamers beware!

Yea ... and most of those resources are being used to make sure you're not being a naughty bog :)

Vista is such a waste of space. If you want shinny get an old second hand Mac for a few hundred quid, it will do all the shinny stuff Vista does!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• TrevorDurity
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 2 months ago #41313 by TrevorDurity
I could be wrong but I'm getting the distinct impression that Bart doesn't care for Vista :wink:

BTW This was also discussed on one of the UK boards and Astronomiser (the guys who built my camera) were also told, by Philips, that they would not be writing any updated drivers for Vista.
So it looks like that's it unless 3rd party ones become available at any stage.

Trev

More
16 years 10 months ago #46544 by Frank Ryan
It's a good thing you can't swear on these boards
coz if you could.......
The air here would turn a little blue.

I bought a new laptop last weekend.
One of the PC world Toshiba Satelites.
Nice specs on her but GOD Damn Vista to hell!

I had the intention of just getting rid of vista off it and
installing XP on it insted.

Uragh!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 10 months ago #46546 by voyager

It's a good thing you can't swear on these boards
coz if you could.......
The air here would turn a little blue.

You can .... cartoon style:

!&*$%

:)

I bought a new laptop last weekend.
One of the PC world Toshiba Satelites.
Nice specs on her but GOD Damn Vista to hell!

I had the intention of just getting rid of vista off it and
installing XP on it insted.

Uragh!

Good idea to get Vista off it. Why not give one of the user-friendly Linuxes like Ubuntu a go?

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds