K-Tec

Want to try Linux?

More
19 years 7 months ago #4645 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Want to try Linux?

I'd be interested too John. I am currently trying to get the hang of Fedora Core 2. Its a learning process...

:)

Seanie

I use Fedora Core 2 myself so feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thanks Bart, but I hope I don't land you in it! I just might do that! Its nice to know someone else is there to bounce pointers off.

I have to say, its a very nice, appealing OS. Has been kept user friendly due to nearly all of us being used to a Windoze environment. Though 1 significant downpoint I have is that it takes ages to load from the hard drive installation on the computer!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #4647 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Want to try Linux?

I have to say, its a very nice, appealing OS. Has been kept user friendly due to nearly all of us being used to a Windoze environment. Though 1 significant downpoint I have is that it takes ages to load from the hard drive installation on the computer!

It shouldnt, not even redhat :)

Is it wasting time, getting betting to the booting stage or wasting time starting lots of services?

If its the latter there should be some control panel type thingy in fedora that will let you turn off most of the services you dont need.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 7 months ago #4648 by Seanie_Morris
What I got Al is a lengthy boot up time, AND a lengthy time opening 'applications'. I was thinking (and I'm not sure on this) if it was something to do with mismanagement or lack of virtual memory?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

More
19 years 7 months ago #4650 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Want to try Linux?
OK Fedora shouldn't take long to load, on my laptop Fedora starts us FASTER than Win2K, signifficantly faster even.

How much RAM have you got? How big is your SWAP partition and how many GHZ does your CPU deliver?

Fedora is a bit of a memory hogg so if you don't have much RAM it won't be a happy camper.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 7 months ago #4654 by Seanie_Morris
Its at work, and the pc there that I've got it on has 512MB RAM, and is on an Athlon 1600. I formatted a spare hard drive, and put Fedora exclusively on that.
I'm going to put it on an old P3 at home, with only 256MB RAM, so its going to be even slower on that 1! I have another 2 P4's, but I am not going to put it on one of those yet. I need to test run it so that I know I can use some of its programmes, or while I wait for Linux versions of other W98 programmes I've got.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.

More
19 years 7 months ago #4656 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Want to try Linux?

I was thinking the same thing myself this morning! - I could bring down a couple of CDs in case anyone is interested. I'm still in negotiations re: going to Birr. icon_lol.gif I'm hopefully going to make it on the Saturday.

Thanks John! :)

Michael

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds